єιgнт

We sat in silence. Moments later she clasped her hands together excitedly. "Well, daughter, what do you want to do today?"
I grinned. "Everything."

~~~

I've gotten used to Eliza by now. She takes good care of me, and we receive a letter from Hamilton every so often. He's been updating about the war, saying that there's a second in command general by the name of Charles Lee. Apparently, Lee starts arguing with Washington a lot.
But only a week later, we got a letter telling us that he was coming home. The next morning, he arrived alone, looking quite disappointed in himself.
"Alexander!" Eliza giggled, enveloping her husband in a hug. "You took two months to come back home, what took you so long?"
Hamilton sighed, sitting at the kitchen table. "I got kicked out; Laurens and Lee got into a duel because of me."
"What?" I panicked, sliding into a chair next to him. "Is he dead?"
He grumbled something under his breath. "No, but Lee is recovering from being shot. I'm to blame, apparently."
Eliza stood quietly, looking down. "Alex," she murmured. "I know you just got home, but I have something to tell you."
We both looked up at her. "What?" we said in union.
She rubbed her arm. "I'm going to have a child..."
"What?" we said again, only we were both more angry. She shrunk back.
"I-I only found out a month ago-"
"You should have told me earlier," Hamilton muttered.
"I wrote to the general, and he said he would send you home..."
His eyebrows furrowed. "So that's the real reason I was sent back?"
Tears brimmed her eyes. "Alex, please-"
He ran a worrisome hand through his hair. "Sorry, I've just been stressed. This is great news, but I need some time to take it in."
She nodded sadly. "I understand. Y/N? What about you?"
I was speechless. I'm going to have a younger brother or sister? This will only make them drive farther away from me. "I... I don't know..." I said honestly for once.
"I'm sorry," Eliza said, beginning to weep, "I just wanted to tell you both..." she sniffed, then ran off to the bedroom. Hamilton stood up.
"Eliza, wait! Ugh, Y/N, why do you ruin everything?" he snapped at me, then hurried after her.
My heart broke. I ruin everything? What have I ruined? Did I ruin the Winter's Ball? The wedding? Was I a buzzkill at the reception? I clutched my hair in frustration.
What am I doing wrong?
That night we all ate dinner in silence. No one made eye contact, just the sound of forks hitting plates and munching.
Hamilton cleared his throat. "I'm sorry for, um, being rude earlier. There's just a lot on my shoulders."
I was about to argue back but Eliza looked up from her plate. "It's okay, honey. I'm sorry for telling you so soon, I was just excited you were back..."
He smiled slightly, then glanced at me. "And Y/N, I'm sorry I yelled at you."
I bit my lip, trying to not cry. I can't cry, not now. It'll show that I'm weak and hurt. "It's fine," I tried to say, but my voice cracked. I coughed. "Sorry, got something in my throat," I lied, "Can I be excused?"
Hamilton turned back to his plate, not responding. Eliza gazed into my eyes. "Of course, honey."
I pushed out my chair and fled to my room. I plopped on the bed in despair. I wished the war would end, I wished I wouldn't have a sibling.

"Do you really have to leave again?" Eliza said to her husband quietly. Hamilton gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.
"Sorry, honey, the general suddenly wants me back."
He left, and I watched the carriage speed by. He was only here for two weeks. Yet he hardly talked to me.
Only three days later we got a letter. It was short, only one sentence from Hamilton: "We won."
After reading it Eliza jumped in joy and hugged me. "This means he'll stay with us! I can't believe it!" she squealed.
She ran outside, and I followed her. Already people were flooding the streets. Church bells rang all across the area. Everyone was cheering and a few were waving America flags. I smiled, knowing that if Hamilton wasn't there, they would have lost.
"The world has turned upside town, we're free!" Eliza exclaimed, shaking my shoulders. A carriage zipped to us, screeching to a halt.
"Eliza!" it was Hamilton. He jumped off, grinning.
"Alex!" his wife ran up to him, and he picked her up into the air. They laughed together as his revolutionary buddies hopped off the carriage and beamed at all the people cheering. Though, I caught Laurens sneaking a jealous glance to my adoptive parents.
A celebration was held at the ballroom, where pretty much every single person in New York came to. It was extremely crowded, so I stood alone, watching couples dance.
Laurens suddenly was standing beside me, drinking wine. "Sad, isn't it?"
I looked up curiously at him. "What is?"
He pointed his cup to no one in particular. "You know, aren't you jealous of Eliza?"
"What do you mean?"
"Alex doesn't spend any time with you, and only with Eliza. Heck, he's even starting to not talk to me much. Only through letters."
I giggled. "What, so, you two send eachother letters and you're jealous of Eliza?"
"Well, kind of..." he trailed off. Then he stood up straight, accidentally spilling some of his drink. "I-I mean, not like that."
I smirked. "Do you like my father, Laurens?"
He looked flustered and panicked. "N-No, I never said that!" he hissed, his face blushing pink. "I-I just meant he doesn't talk to me anymore."
I kept teasing him. "Ooh, you have a crush!"
Laurens sighed in defeat, throwing his hands up and spilling more of his wine. "Okay, you caught me. So maybe we send eachother letters and maybe I'm jealous that he's with Eliza. But it's illegal; it wouldn't ever be something real in the end..." he muttered the last part.
"Yeah, it's obvious. I always see you looking at him."
"Please don't tell anyone, Y/N," he begged me. "I'd be shunned so hard that I'd have to move to the south. I am not going back down there."
"Hah, alright," I chuckled, "No one will know." I winked at him, and he smiled graciously back.

a/n
lams lams lams lams
tho oooo after the battle of Yorktown, there is a hidden song that isnt included in the soundtrack...
TOMORROW THERE'LL BE MORE OF USSSS
ALEXANDER R U ALRIGht
... I have so much work to do
So ya that'll be a short chapter
I swear I cried so hard when I listened to it

petunia xx