One

(Yukina)

Today was going pretty well, save for the part where she was lost and ended up that boy for help. At first glance, he was very intimidating. He even questioned her about who she was. It didn’t take very long to explain about her exchange, and the boy seemed to be informed about it before hand.

At least that’s what she thought.

“Hey, what do you think about her?” Yukina could head from people say in whispers. She had been born with sharp senses for some reason. She could hear a cricket through a stone wall. Yukina intently tried paying attention to class, but she couldn’t help but overhear what they were saying.

“The exchange? She is pretty cute, huh?”

“Right? Maybe better than Sasagawa!” Yukina pouted a bit, then just sighed silently and pushed a bit of her hair away from her face.

And felt it again. It wasn’t the first time, but Yukina caught herself looking at the boy next to her. She sensed someone was watching her earlier, and found out it was this person.

She hadn’t seen him before, but Yukina was certain he was from Italy. And definitely a force to be reckoned with.

The bell suddenly went off. Recess.

“Well then class. The homework is to study page 34 to 40 of your textbooks. You’re all dismissed.” People started to bustle about, moving desks together and leaving the classroom at the same time. Yukina started to pack away her own belongings.

She brought her own lunch, courtesy of a cook book on all of the delicacies in Japan. Rarely, feeling different would bug her. For now, she needed to fit in.

“Yukina-san,” someone called from her side. Yukina jumped a bit then looked over.

“Y-yes?” she stammered. There were two girls by her desk, one with short blonde hair and dark golden eyes. The other had long, dark brown hair with hazel eyes.

“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Sasagawa Kyoko,” the girl with blonde hair introduced herself, then gestured to the other girl, “this is my best friend, Kurokawa Hana.”

“Pleasure to make your acquaintance,” the other girl, Hana, greeted and offered her hand. Yukina took and shook her hand.

“Nice to meet you two,” Yukina said brightly. Kyoko had a kind personality about her. No, more like an aura, while Hana seemed to be the mature and well mannered type.

“Hey, it’s lunch now. Did you want to sit with us?” Kyoko offered. This was not happening. Yukina had thought she would shunned on the first day, but she didn’t dream of someone like Kyoko to be here, inviting to sit with her for lunch. Wait.

Sasagawa? Sasagawa… The name was vaguely familiar, but Yukina was distracted when Kyoko spoke again.

“It’s alright if you don’t want to. I understand it’s hard to get used to a new environment and all_”

“Ah! No no! I’d love to have lunch with you!” Yukina said hastily. Kyoko brightened and clapped her hands together.

“Okay then! Let’s go!” Kyoko cheered.

“Ah, sorry Kyoko. I’ve actually got be somewhere,” Hana explained. Kyoko turned and had a sincere look on her face.

“Really? That’s too bad,” she said sadly. Hana smiled and patted her on the head.

“It’s okay. I’ll be there tomorrow, for sure,” she said, then waved to Yukina, “and I want to get to know about Yukina as well.”

“I’ll look forward to getting to know you too, Kurokawa-san,” Yukina said politely. With one last wave, Hana left the classroom. Kyoko turned back to Yukina.