0.2 - the pills

louis

don't forget to eat tonight. please. i love you, mum x

louis rolled his eyes at the text his mum sent and threw his phone on the couch. he had just gotten back from his mum's job because she had asked him to bring her the lunch she forgot to pack. he was more than happy to make her some food and deliver to her. he loved making his mum happy.

it was thursday night, and he had a three day weekend coming up because school was cancelled for tomorrow. and he was bored. completely, out of his mind.

his little sister was out at one of her friends birthday parties and it really bothered him that his 9 year sister had more of a life than he had. and friends.

she was more sociable than he has ever been in his 17 years of being on this earth.

17 miserable years.

he picked his phone back up and dialed the one friend he did have; liam.

liam was the only one who really got him and was there for him and was always louis' shoulder to cry on. he was there when the incident happened, and hadn't left since. and, yeah, he was a great friend, louis thought. you could say that.

but louis wouldn't really call liam his "best friend" because, there were times, whenever liam would hang out with his other friends, he would put louis down or make fun of him for things he knew louis couldn't control. also, liam sometimes used him for things louis knew was illegal, but he could never say no to liam. couldn't bring himself to do it.

it was all just out of keeping his image, louis guessed. and louis understood that. really, he did.

he just learned to ignored it because he couldn't lose the only friend he's ever had.

"hello?"

"liam," louis replied, hearing voices in the background on liam's end. he couldn't quite make out who's voices they were but there was clearly more than 1. he suddenly grew a bad feeling about deciding to call liam.

"what do you want, louis?" liam spat and it came out rather harshly. louis began to pick at his fingernails, something he'd do whenever he'd get nervous.

"oh, is right now a bad time? i'm sorry i called, i just want-"

"yeah. it is. it's a really bad time and i'd appreciate it if you didn't call me for the rest of the weekend."

and, ow, that hurt louis more than it should have. especially when he heard the line go dead and the only thing he could hear was the dial tone ringing in his ear.

but again, he just let it go. he could never get mad at liam, he didn't want a falling out between the two to end the only friendship he has.

so he decided that maybe he'd just try to take nap until his mum got home. he could spend the weekend with her, hopefully, even though he knew he couldn't.

she was always far too busy with work.

climbing over the couch, he laid down and tried so hard to close his eyes to let himself drift off into sleep but he just couldn't.

so he laid there, and watched tv until he heard a car door slam outside. the sound of keys jingling in the doorknob is what made him sit up straight, and that's when he realized it.

his pills. he forgot to take them. he'd hope his mum wouldn't ask him, he hated lying to her.

"hey baby," louis' mum strutted in, kicking off her shoes at the door and setting her bags on the couch. she rushed over to louis and embraced him in a hug, kissing the top of his hair.

"did you eat?" louis immediately looked away, trying to avoid all contact with his mum.

"louis," jay, his mum, sighed and placed her hand on the countertop. she signaled for louis to come over to her and once again wrapped her free arm around him as he nuzzled into her neck.

"i'm sorry." louis apologized. he seemed to do that a lot, apologize, even though nothing was really his fault.

jay shook her head 'no' and rubbed her hand up and down his clothed arm.

"it's okay, baby. just one day at a time." she offered him a small smile and he returned it, escaping from her arms and sitting down at the island in the kitchen.

he watched as his mum began to prepare herself a small meal, being that fizzy, his sister, wasn't home and she was the only one eating.

"so, how was work?" he figured it would be nice to change the subject and talk about something his mum wanted to. she loved talking about her job. she was a doctor at leighton hospital.

"it was a nice. i got a new patient today." she beamed. she always loved getting new patients, always loved feeling needed.

"really?"

"yeah, his old doctor got transferred to a new hospital or something. so now i'm his new doctor." she moved to put the cup of tea in the microwave. louis had only ever seen her use the microwave for tea when she was either feeling really lazy or tired.

"and he's about your age. he's cute, i think you two would get on well."

louis scoffed at that comment. no one ever got on with him because he was stupid and dumb and awkward and didn't fit in.

"louis.." jay trailed off, frowning at louis' scoff that he thought she didn't hear. she didn't like when her son thought so low of himself. the microwave dinged and jay removed her cup.

"what's his name?"

"you know i can't disclose any patient information. maybe you'll see him in school sometime." jay giggled before grabbing her cup of tea and the sandwich that she made and letting out a big yawn.

she kissed louis' forehead as she made her way towards the stairs, trying to balance the cup and the plate in one hand and her phone in the other.

louis shrugged and went over to where his mum kicked her shoes off, and set them up straight and neatly. he grabbed her bag and set it on the kitchen counter instead of the couch and fluffed the couch cushions back out. finally, after pushing the chair, that he'd previously been sitting in, back in, he headed up to his room.

"goodnight mum," louis called from jay's doorframe, even though he wasn't going to sleep.

he never did.

she blew him a kiss from where she lay on her bed and louis scurried off to his room.

as soon as he left, jay had remembered to do something that she forgot to do earlier when she'd gotten home. she slipped on her slippers and softly crept down the hallway, careful not to make any noise while passing louis' bedroom.

once she entered the bathroom, she opened the glass mirror cabinet and grabbed two prescription pill bottles labeled: LOUIS TOMLINSON

she counted them. each bottle, two times through. she was satisfied with the results of one bottle, the amount had been decreasing meaning louis was taking them. trying to make himself better. and she loved that.

but her heart broke when she counted the other. it was still practically full and had the same amount from when she counted them before.

it hurt her, really badly, when she came into realization that louis hadn't been taking his medication.

for four days straight.

_________

oh god how was this?? i really cant wait til this book REALLY starts bc i have a lot of plot twists for u guys and its gonna be really good i hope. but please just stick through the beginning with me pLS.

also, if anyone is willing can someone make me a better cover? u can just message me on here. thank u :)
xox