26- Alex

The last time I had to spend my days in bed recovering from an injury had been more than a year ago. Back then, I spent most of it crying. I had questions. I didn't know what I was supposed to do next. I didn't know who I was. I didn't know what to feel.

This time, I plotted. My mission wasn't over. Ray Malone was still out there, torturing and killing people. My reasons for wanting him dead still weren't that noble, but the image of that girl reminded me that maybe they should be. Maybe I should do it not out of hate but out of love for the victims. So they can have a chance to live like I got to.

The day after I got there, Mohammad popped his head in for a visit. "The prodigal daughter returns."

"Hey, Mo."

"Heard you got shot."

"You should see the other guy."

His clean-shaven face lit up. "You did it? You got Felix?"

"I did."

He walked over to pat my back. "Good job. So proud."

"Ray's still alive, though. I'm going for him next."

"Not even here a day and already wanna go back."

I didn't know what to say. Life felt better when I had a goal to work towards. And lately, that goal was sparing the world of evil from a man like Ray.

Mohammad taught me how to use the criminal database. An hour after he said 'hi' to me, I was researching Sebastian Malone and reading every bad thing he did. I looked at the faces of the girls he kidnapped, each of them young, pretty, full of life. He took them from bus stops, bars, even school. Ray didn't have an extensive list, just a connection to Sebastian, the true criminal. It was noted that Ray lived on the island for most of his adult life, enjoying the spoils of his brother's crimes but barely participating in them.

"You gonna eat something?" Mohammad poked his head in later that night. I looked at the laptop and realized it was already eight o'clock. Besides an apple for breakfast, I hadn't consumed anything all that day.

"Maybe not." My stomach was used to the hunger pangs. I was numb to them by now.

"You need to get your strength back if you wanna take him down."

He was right. And he was holding onto a tray with a black bean burger and fries. I couldn't remember the last time I had a real meal. "Ok. Maybe just a bite."

Mohammad cut it in half for me and I took my first bite, chewing slowly. The fries were fried to perfection, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, with the perfect amount of salt. The only thing missing was an ice bold beer. "Fuck." I moaned.

"Careful. Don't be giving me any ideas." His voice was teasing, but I heard the pain underneath. I used him. He probably realized that by now.

Putting the burger down, I shot him an apologetic smile. "Sorry. I was really shitty to you before."

Mohammad laughed uncomfortably. "You don't have to apologize. You did what you had to do."

"Yeah but I could have figured out another way."

"Honestly, all is forgiven. I forgave before you even left."

The door opened, wiping the smile from my face. I lowered the burger and put it back on my plate, watching as Luke stepped into the room. I didn't miss the unease in his expression when he saw Mohammad sitting so close to my bed, or the fact that we were sharing a meal.

"Hey." Luke waved awkwardly. He looked cleaner now. His facial hair had been shaved off, leaving a clear view of his jaw and lips. Wearing jeans and a black jacket, I almost didn't recognize him. "Just wanted to see how you were recovering."