03. My Bodyguard

I think my jaw dropped to the floor

Did anyone see it?

Sitting on one of the couches, the only thing I can think is my father's last word.

Bodyguard.

I let out a laugh. All the people present in the room look at me.

"You're okay?" asks my father, frowning.

"Oh, sorry," I say. "It's just that I think I have some hearing problems suddenly because I heard you saying, bodyguard?"

My father tilts his head to the side. "You heard well."

I just stare.

When none of them tells me it's a joke, I stiffen.

"Wait. This is serious. You hired a bodyguard?!" I stand up.

"Kind of... but Elena, calm down. We-"

"I don't want a bodyguard. I don't want someone following me 24/7. No way," I say firmly with a look at Jake.

He's sitting on the other couch, arms crossed and seems relaxed. Something about that makes me cringe. I already hate him for the little incident earlier. How can he be... my bodyguard?

It makes no senses.

Because he looks so young. He's probably a year older than me. Or maybe two, I can't tell. But I can tell he's not that old.

My father is sitting next to him and he leans towards me, suddenly really serious. "We have no other choice. Your mother and I got your point yesterday when you explained why you didn't want to move. So if you and your brother stay here, then..."

"Wait," I interrupt him, sitting back in the armchair. "You're not saying that... you and mom..."

"We'll need to leave, yes," answers my mom softly.

"What?" says Xander.

That's what I thought, brother.

"We have no other choice, we must do what is right. And we need both of you to be safe," explains my mom. "That's why we asked for protection. For both of you."

"No... I don't want you guys to leave! There must be another solution..."

"Like what?" Dad asks me. His expression softens when he looks at me. "Honey, this is it or you and your brother come with us. What do you want?"

What do I want? I want my family all together.

My gaze lifts up to a picture on the wall. Me, Xander, Edward, Mom and Dad, all of us reunited. Happy. Together.