Chapter 25

Dedicated to the lovely MiraclesExist for the wonderful cover. It's absolutly gorg! Her works are pretty legit as well so give them a read? You won't be disappointed :) Also, I'd like to apologize for the long wait, it's been what three months? I sort of had a bit of writers block for this story and then school got really hectic and I just couldn't get myself to write out more than a few words... But this chapter is written and I hope you all enjoy it. I would appreciate the feedback.
 ♥

-forevercassiee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 25

                “We need to talk,” were the first words Savannah said to me since our fight weeks ago. I sat on the couch, textbooks spread out all around me as I studied for an upcoming exam for my biology class. We had three weeks until graduating and the last few weeks were crucial, every single assignment counted.

                Dropping my multi-colored pen onto my journal, I closed my book and made for her so she could sit. I was surprised to come home and find her in the kitchen making dinner when I had come home from work. Since our fight she had been staying with Luke every other night- my guess was to avoid me.

                It had been weeks since either of us had spoken to each other. Not only was I hard headed and stubborn, but so was she. Neither one of us wanted to push their pride to the side and admit that we were in the wrong first. It was rare when we fought but when we did, the fights usually tended to last for a long while.

                “About?” I questioned.

                “Everything,” she replied as she fell into the spot next to me and folded her legs underneath herself.

                Everything. Well that didn’t sound too well.

                “Okay,” I replied and turned to face her completely. “I’m listening.”

                “First of all, do you have the Calculus homework because that shit is hard and I don’t get crap.” A small laugh escaped my lips as my best friend ran a hand through her dark hair and joked. Starting off the conversation light usually meant she was tired of fighting and probably needed to tell me something important.

                “Yeah,” I replied with a small smile, “I’ll give it to you later.”

                “Alright, cool,” she replied with a smile.

                Returning her smile, I pushed back strands of blonde hair and hugged my knees closer to my chest, “So what did you need to talk about?”

                Savannah sighed and bit her lower lip, “Everything,” she repeated. “Seriously, we have a shit ton to discuss.”

                “So where do we start?” I asked.

                “From the beginning.” She shrugged and that was how it started. We talked for hours about literately everything. Isaac, Luke, Grey, work, the fight that had broken out during second period days ago, the fact that Ruben was starting his old habits again, my sister. We talked about everything that had happened in the time span that we hadn’t talked to each other and by the time we were done it was close to one in the morning.

                “I really am sorry,” I told her. “I shouldn’t have reacted that way when you mentioned Isaac and Grey.”

                “It’s alright,” Sav replied, “I shouldn’t have brought them up anyways. Isaac is a douche that doesn’t deserve to be talked about and Grey, well Grey is sort of a taboo subject.”

                I laughed and shook my head, “It’s not that he’s a taboo subject, it’s just when it comes to him there’s a lot to think about.”

                “Tell me about it,” Sav sighed. “It’s sort of crazy, really.”

                “What is?” I asked not entirely sure what she was talking about.

                “Grey,” she said. “He’s back all of a sudden and in your life. I mean I wouldn’t have been surprised if he was back and only talked to you so he could see how Hailey is or see where Henry is buried, but in all the months that he’s back, he’s only been interested in you.”

                She was right. In the weeks that he and I had hung out, not once had he asked where Henry was buried or even how Hailey was doing. Of course he didn’t know she was in a coma, but still wasn’t he a tad bit curious as to how she was doing after all these years that they hadn’t spoken?

                “Your just now realizing that aren’t you,” Sav asked.

                I nodded and pushed back strands of hair behind my ear, “Yeah,” I replied. “I am.”

--

                With school coming to an end soon, work and studying have been all what Savannah and I have done for the last few weeks. Graduation was coming and we were both excited that school was coming to an end. But the excitement was being cut short with the amount of exams, essays and other homework being thrown at us.

                We stayed up until all hours of the night trying to get ahead and finish assignments. Our acceptances into NYU were delivered and we were over the moon excited about it. Savannah’s mother had left her stepfather and was now spending every other night with her until she was completely comfortable enough to stay over there permanently.

                Everything was slowly coming together but my best friend’s words from days ago still echoed in my head. After all the months that Grey had been in my life again, not once did he ask about Hailey or mention anything about Henry.

                It was odd.

                They were the only thing linking us together. I wanted to know why that was, I needed to ask him. But asking him would lead to questions about Hailey that I wasn’t sure I could answer. Not now.

--

                I had a few missed calls from my mother when I checked my phone after my shift at Marty’s ended. I wasn’t sure whether or not to call her back but as I walked down the semi-crowded streets of the city, I pondered over the idea of redialing.

                It had been awhile since I had last spoken to her and I had begun to think that she had given up on trying to get me to understand Hailey’s condition. I knew about her condition, I understood her condition. But I was angry, oh so very angry at her still even though I knew I shouldn’t be.

                Locking my phone screen I was about to slide it into my back pocket when it vibrated in my hand. My screen was lit and my mother’s name was on the screen. She was calling again. Taking a deep breath I inhaled deeply and slid my finger across the answer button.

                “Hello?”

                “Holland? Oh thank god I got a-hold of you! You need to get down here right this minute.” My mother gushed.

                I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and arched my brows high up. “Why?” I asked slightly worried.

                “Hailey’s awake.”