Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Grey

                When Holland agreed to being friends, I didn’t know what to expect. I hadn’t thought much about how I was going to be her friend. I was so caught up on trying to get her to talk to me that I didn’t give much thought to what would happen after she agreed- if she agreed.

                But the moment she did agree to give our friendship a try, I came up blank on how to get the ball rolling. Aside of seeing her grow up, I didn’t really know much about her. I knew what she let me see. I knew what Henry and Hailey ranted on about. I knew she was a bit OCD about things being cleaned. I knew she was quiet when it came to her emotions. Henry said she loved to read, she preferred it actually. I knew what the Sawyer twins said about their younger sister, but never from experience.

                As much as I wanted to think that I knew Holland, I knew that I didn’t. But even if I had known her before I had left to Germany, I would still have came home to a completely different person.

                In the days that followed Holland and I’s agreement of being friends, we hadn’t talked. In fact, it wasn’t until a week later that any sort of communication between us was given.

                I was on my home from work when I had passed Marty’s and saw Holland serving a family of five in one of the booths up against the windows. It was late, at least ten at night yet the dinner was still booming with business. I hadn’t realized I had stopped until Holland had looked up and caught sight of me through the window.

                Her eyes grew wide, and I could tell she was surprised to see me. Hell, I was surprised to see her also. I had almost forgotten that she worked there in that dinner. But what shocked me even more was the fact that a small smile tugged at her lips and she waved awkwardly through the window.

                I must have stood there unmoving because she then waved me in.

                In the dinner, I was immediately hit with the scent of fresh brewed coffee and the warmth of the heater and the heat of the grill going on in the kitchen.

                “Hey,” Holland’s familiar voice rang and I turned my head towards her. Tonight she wore a pair of khaki slacks along with a long sleeve white button up blouse. Her blonde locks were tied up in side fishtail braid, strands sticking out in random spots since she had so many layers.

                “Hi,” I replied rubbing my hands together.

                “Did you want a booth?” she asked looking over her shoulder, “Or…”

                “A booth is fine,” I replied unsure where my response came from.

                Holland nodded and smiled before she grabbed a menu and led me towards the back of the dinner. I smiled at her once I realized that the booth was the one where I had first seen her sitting in. She had been reading a book that night, her blonde locks falling in her face like a golden curtain. In that moment, she almost resembled the same girl I had seen grow up all those years ago.

                “Hot coffee?” she asked once I slid into the booth.

                I nodded, “Please.”

                When Holland left and returned minutes later with my hot coffee, I still wasn’t sure what the hell I was even doing there. One minute I was walking home from work, and the next I was sitting in a booth drinking coffee that was served by a girl that interested me to no end.