Chapter 3: Escape

Start from the beginning

That smirk continued to play in my mind as I walked back to the Base. What could it possibly mean?

There were no Watchers on duty it seemed, or if there were, they were deathly silent and silence is what greeted me when I entered the Base. All eyes turned to me as I emerged from the trees.

No one said anything, no one even moved. They just stared with a pitiful expression. The silence was deafening, well that was until my sister made herself known.

"Dawn!" Freya shouted as she ran to me. "Where the hell have you been?"

"Relax kiddo." I laughed as she pulled me in for an incredibly tight hug, I didn't know she had that much strength in her.

"Relax? How could I relax when there are rumours going around that you were caught?" That would explain the stares.

"I wasn't gone that long. How could've rumours spread in four hours?"

"You have no idea do you?" She said as she pulled away, her eyes looked glossy and red.

"No idea about what?"

"Dawn, you were gone for eight hours. Double the amount of time you were given. It's unlike you to return past the designated time."

"Eight hours!" How hard did that monster hit me?

I looked in the direction of the sun and noticed that it had lowered considerably since the last time I was here.

"Why were you gone so long?"

Not wanting to worry her further, I came up with a lie. "I lost track of time I guess, and I think I accidentally fell asleep in one of the ruins, but I kept my promise, I returned."

Freya narrowed her eyes for a minute, deciding whether to believe me or not. Eventually she pulled me in for another quick hug. "I don't care. I'm just glad you're back."

I smiled before putting my arm over her shoulders. "Anyway, I want to hear about your first day on the job Watcher Freya."

"You will but I'll tell you later. Gram wants to see you."

I groaned audibly. As much as I loved Gram, the woman scared me sometimes. Freya laughed as she went back to our house, leaving me to make the treck to Gram's house alone.

Gram lived in a cabin located a little bit deeper in the woods, secluded from the Base. With its moss covered rooftop and various objects randomly placed both in and outside of the cabin, no one dared to come this side of the woods apart from Freya and I.

Known as what the old humans would call a witch, Gram was both feared and respected by all in the Base. With her long blonde hair, sharp features and icy blue eyes, it didn't take a genius to know that this woman was a higher up figure amongst the humans. Gram also had an attitude, so that may be a contributing factor towards the fear aspect.

Stepping into her little log cabin, I took a seat on the faded green couch that was placed on the far side of the room, next to a dusty table and an even dustier bookshelf filled with so many books, the shelves had started to bend under the weight.

"You've caused quite the riot lassie." Gram hummed as she glided in and sat beside me.

"That was never my intention. I didn't realise I was gone so long." I looked at the floor, trying to count the hours I could remember being conscious for.

"That I believe, not that rubbish you gave young Freya."

"How do you know about that?"

"How do I know anything lass?" That I wasn't sure of, no one was. When I didn't reply, Gram continued. "Anyway, I want to hear about these monsters you've encountered."