A brain wave struck me and I quickly climbed a tree. The trees grew very close together and I could walk on thinner branches that wouldn't hold Ace's weight. He would know where I was, but he had before. He also had to work harder to remain out of sight with my high vantage point.

I went from tree to tree as I kept on the move to keep Ace from sneaking up behind me. I didn't see him though... What was he up to? I wasn't sure if he had a plan in place, or if he was just winging it, but either way, I knew I didn't have much time before he did something.

I really needed a plan, but nothing came to mind. The trees were getting further apart and much larger. It wouldn't be much longer before I wouldn't be able to safely walk along the branches while holding onto other branches for support.

I had to go down to the ground at this point. I still didn't see Ace and hadn't seen him since the game had started. He was undoubtedly aware of exactly where I was though. He was moving silently as well. No leaves rustled or twigs cracked.

I shook my head as I recalled that this was how some horror stories started. I never saw how they ended though because my mother had always realized what I was watching within ten minutes and changed the channel on me.

I carefully climbed down and turned towards a deer trail. I barely rounded the tree when a pair of arms scooped me up. I shrieked in fear before dissolving in laughter as I recognized Ace.

"Caught you!"

"How did you know which tree I was coming down?"

He chuckled before putting me down, "The next two were halfway rotten and I knew you wouldn't chance it during a mere game." He rubbed his ears with a wince, "Although I think I may have permanent hearing damage now..."

I giggled and hunched my shoulders guiltily, "Sorry..."

He shrugged, "I should have expected it."

We both looked up as two people ran out of the bush full tilt. Their eyes glowed brightly and they had weapons in their hands. They stopped in surprise when they saw us. Ace watched them intently, "Is something wrong?"

They glanced at one another as their eyes were rapidly dimming. They looked utterly confused as they glanced around, "We heard Laura scream. Is she okay?"

Ace nodded in understanding, "Yes, I startled her in a game of hide and go seek."

I realized that they had been coming to help me, thinking I was in trouble. No wonder they had been confused to get here and see Ace and me grinning at each other. They both relaxed and nodded, "Oh. I see. That is a much better situation than what we had worried about. We will continue on our way then. Have a good run."

Ace waved a farewell, "Thanks, you too." He glanced down at me, "We should head back and see if the dead has risen yet."

I giggled, "I doubt it, but you can't compare Diane to a zombie. Zombies don't actually sleep."

He chuckled, "Indeed. You are correct."

We headed back towards Sanctuary with as much speed as I could muster. The heat rose in my blood, lending me speed and stamina. I didn't see Diane outside as we approached, and when we were closer, the Messengers shook their heads. She hadn't woken up yet.

I looked at my keychain pocketwatch to see that it was 6am. Most of the people had already lost their bets considering that Diane still slept. Ace gazed at the door for a moment before looking down at me, "How about we grab some breakfast? I have a feeling we will be done before she wakes up. I know when she wakes, that food will be first on her agenda anyways."