Chapter 25: Facing Fate

Start from the beginning

"I died in Aphrodite's arms," he solemnly said, pulling Aubrey through his memories. "When she realized my soul came here, she left at once to bring me back, but Persephone already had me. Zeus made me immortal under the condition that I spend half the year with Persephone and half with Aphrodite. It was a fair deal until Aphrodite traded her time for Persephone's help. Nothing against my queen. I enjoy her immensely, but she is not my Aphrodite and I literally live in hell!"

"Traded her time? What do you mean? What kind of help did she need?"

Adonis shrugged his broad shoulders. "She didn't say. Just that she was going away for awhile after she had you."

Aubrey suddenly understood. For almost twenty-five years he was trapped in the underworld. "Look, I'm sorry Aphrodite used you like some toy to barter with-"

"She has never treated me like some toy."

Adonis looked like a boy so blinded by love that he was diluted with denial. Aphrodite could do no wrong in his eyes. Aubrey raised her hands in surrender. "I get it. Okay? Maybe we can help each other out. I will help you leave here, if you help me?"

"Only Aphrodite coming back will break her oath to Styx."

Aubrey's eyebrow arched. "She swore an oath?"

"Yes. She swore Persephone would have my complete time for as long as my love was away."

"Okay..." Aubrey began. "Then once you help me, I will find Aphrodite and break her oath."

Adonis's face scrunched as he considered her offer. "Do you swear on Styx?"

Aubrey's breath hitched. Swearing on the river created an unbreakable oath. No one knew anything about Aphrodite since she disappeared almost twenty-five years ago. What would happen if Aubrey could not find her?

Weighting her limited options, she finally nodded. "Yes, I swear on Styx that once you help me on my...quest... I will find Aphrodite for you."

The moment the words left her lips, Aubrey felt warmth flow through her heart rush through each limb. Her skin tingled all over. One look at Adonis and she felt an unyielding pull to fulfill her oath.

Adonis nodded his approval. "What can I do for you, Aubrey, daughter of my beloved?"

Aubrey resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "How about we start with where we are? I don't know any stories about the underworld being covered in flowers."

"We are in Persephone's private room. She is the deity of harvest just like her mother. This is her little slice of peace away from Hades. And you are very fortunate you arrived when you did because right now they are both at the fields of punishment. Come."

Aubrey cautiously followed Adonis through the heap of plants that opened into another room. The wall of flowers that parted quickly entwined their stems around each other again, sealing off the private space and revealing another room covered in gold and black. Unlike the flowerily paradise, Persephone's bedroom echoed queen of the dead. There was no denying she was in the underworld as Aubrey followed Adonis further into Hades' daunting palace.

"So how long will they be gone?" she asked as she gazed around at the stone walls of Hades's haunting palace.

"As long as they please," Adonis's replied. "Time means nothing to the underworld. Ah, here we are."

Aubrey approached the gold table before them. It must have been a hundred feet around. Lava churned like a whirlpool. Aubrey squinted to get a closer look. Below the fiery swirls she could almost make out something that resembled land.