Chapter 24: The Unknown

This chapter is dedicated to someone who has been so supportive with all her lovely comments! Thank you so much for reading!!

 Chapter 24: The Unknown  

 Aubrey let out an aggravated groan as she slammed yet another book down on the table. She ignored the nasty looks that were cast her way. Across from her, Morgan typed steadily on her laptop. The constant typing was beginning to try Aubrey's nerves. They had spent two days in the main reading room of the public library in search of a way into the underworld.

Keeping her voice low, Aubrey said, "I can't take this. We are wasting time. Maybe I should just go to Psyche and ask how she did it."

"Be patient," Morgan whispered. "We both know that you can't go to Psyche without Eros finding out, and there is no way he would approve. It was hard enough getting Damien to. The answer has to be here somewhere. We'll find it."

"How do you know? We've been at it for hours and so far the only thing I've learned is Celeste could be in one of three places, but how will I figure out where she was sent? I can't just wander around the underworld calling out her name."

Morgan suppressed a snicker. "Well, I'm sure you can rule out the Fields of Punishment. That just leaves the Fields of Asphodel and Elysium. Do you think she did enough good deeds to be granted access to Elysium?"

"I don't know." Aubrey groaned. "Isn't that place for heroes?"

"It's for whoever the judges deem righteous enough."

Aubrey wanted to bash her head against the table. She was beginning to realize there was so much about her best friend that she didn't know. That made her mission even more important, but with all the research they'd done, Aubrey did not feel any closer to getting Celeste back. That thought tortured her as visions of Celeste's final moments flashed through her mind. Guilt swept over her, but she closed her eyes and forced the pain away. She couldn't break down again.

"Hey, are you okay?" Morgan asked as she reached for Aubrey's hand.

"Yeah," Aubrey replied too quickly. She forced a weak smile in hopes of convincing Morgan she was fine. She couldn't have Morgan reporting anything back to Damien. He was already protective enough and threatened to lock her up if she didn't include them in her plans to save Celeste.

"Well, cheer up because I think I found the easiest way into the underworld, which will make Damien happy because we can bypass all the messy stuff, like Cerberus the three-headed Hell-hound."

"What?" Aubrey almost yelled. A ripple of angry "shhhs" from the surrounding library dwellers interrupted them. Quickly lowering her voice, Aubrey leaned over the table and whispered, "Tell me."

Morgan moved forward, her body mirroring Aubrey's. "Persephone comes back to earth every spring, right?" Aubrey nodded her head, trying to understand where this was headed. "There must be a portal or door or something she uses to cross between the worlds. We just need to find out how."

"But I've found nothing about that except that Zeus allows her to remain here for spring and summer and returning to Hades in the fall. That's all."

"I know." Something wicked flashed in Morgan's eyes. "Happen to know any horny deities that wouldn't mind seducing a former goddess?"

Aubrey's mind tried to slowly piece together Morgan's plan. "You want me to find someone to seduce Persephone, the Queen of the Dead, into telling us how she moves between earth and the underworld?"

Morgan's devious smile grew wider. "No. Not Persephone. Her Mother. Demeter."

* * *