Chapter 17: Drinking with Danger

Aubrey fell in step with everyone else getting off the subway at St. Columbus Circle and bee lined it to the nearest coffee shop. It seemed like such a normal day, as if werewolves and witches and dragons only lived in the pages of fairytales. She almost felt out of place in her human world, something she never thought possible. Instinctively, Aubrey became aware of her surroundings. As she pushed thought the crowd, she took note of every person and their simple little lives.

Inside the cafe, a woman was busy consoling a toddler who was throwing a fit over the need for a chocolate pastry. The woman's apologetic eyes met Aubrey's. She simply smiled back as she moved through the line. Life buzzed all around her, but she no longer felt apart of it. Odd, Aubrey thought. Coffee in hand, she stepped back out into the world and hurried to meet Finley at their usually spot in Central Park. She was almost there when a strange sensation coursed through her.

Someone was watching her every more. She froze before finding the courage to slowly look around. Nothing seemed out of place. So caught up in their own little worlds, not a single soul looked her way.

"Are ye okay?" the Finley asked, causing Aubrey to jump. Lost in her espionage, Aubrey hadn't noticed the sylph's sudden approach.

"Yeah, sorry."

"I didne mean to scare ye."

"No, it just felt like..." Aubrey paused, rethinking what she was about to confess. "You know what? It was nothing. So, what are we doing today?"

If Finley knew Aubrey was trying to change the subject, she didn't press it. Instead, she led Aubrey to their private spot, away from human eyes. "Alrecht, time to take us to where Timor had ye train. It's time to get reacquainted with your inner tiger."

Aubrey's smile beamed. She was waiting for this day. She didn't mind helping Eros with his matchmaking, or practicing her skills in the depths of Central Park, but she was dying to take her tiger form. Something about its fierce nature was addicting. Grabbing Finley's hand, Aubrey pictured the forest, willing her mind to take them there. The rush was no longer dizzying as she looked around the familiar trees.

"Wonderful. Now ye remember wit to do?"

"Oh yeah," Aubrey said through a mischievous smile.

She mastered her hawk form, so she was confident that her tiger would be much easier than the first time. Taking off into a full sprint, Aubrey focused her mind. Great white paws hit the forest floor with a thud. The feeling was just as liberating as flying.

All of her stressed was released in a glorious roar. It felt wonderful running through the trees, leaving the last of the colorful leaves flying in her wake. This was something she couldn't do in the bustle of the city. There really was no reasonable explanation for why a tiger was taking a stroll down Broadway.

Lost in the excitement, she tried something she never tried before. She leapt in the air and willed her hawk form. In a burst of energy, she flew over the leafless trees. The feeling was exhilarating. When she finally returned to Finley, she felt like she was still on cloud nine.

"Hae fun?" Finley asked.

"You could say that." Aubrey tried to act nonchalant, but the joy that radiated off her smile gave everything away.

Finley fierily laugh bounced between the trees. Changing the subject, she said, "Listen. Ah hope you dornt mind, but I'm going back home tonight, so that leaves ye on yer own."