Chapter 6

I ran to Evangeline's car and when I didn't see Slone, I freaked out. There were quite a few people around so I couldn't hulk out like I wanted to and move the truck off the car to get to her. I crawled on the top of the car and moved towards the passenger side, hoping there was a way for me to reach Slone. Just as I reached the passenger window, I heard Evangeline say my name.

"Eric? I'm alright. Slone isn't talking but she's breathing. We're pinned in here. Please get us out."

I moved closer to the driver’s side of the car so I could talk to her more privately. "Can you push on the truck Evangeline? There are so many people out here. I can't just push on the car."

There were no words after that, only scraping of metal. I knew Evangeline was strong, almost as strong as me. Being what we were, gave her more strength than a normal human. I pushed on the car too, more discretely than I normally would and I started yelling at people to call the police and call for an ambulance to try to drowned out the scraping metal sound so I could push harder. Evangeline and I had finally pushed enough space for me to get in there and I started prying on the car door.

"Are you OK Evangeline? Can you get out?" I needed her to move so I could get to Slone. I looked past Evangeline to Slone and she was just sitting there in the passenger side, not moving. She was breathing, but not moving.

"Slone? Slone can you hear me?" I looked at her face and all I could see was blood. She'd obviously hit her head on something and was unconscious.

"Evangeline let me help you out so I can get to Slone." I moved into the car as much as I could and pushed the dash off of her legs to help free her.

"Eric, just a little more. I can wiggle my toes again. Keep pushing." Evangeline sounded almost frantic and I didn't grasp why at first. Then I smelled it. Gasoline. The gas was leaking from the vehicles and I'd bet anything they were going to catch fire very soon.

I pushed as hard as I could and apparently it was enough because Evangeline pushed my shoulder and I moved out of her way. "Evangeline, you have to stay here until the police come. It'll be any second. How else am I going to explain this if you leave?" I saw the panic in her eyes and I knew she wanted to be anywhere but here.

"Eric, I can't stay. You know because of what I do that I can't have any police contact." I rolled my eyes and glared at her.

"You'll stay because I'm demanding you do so. You're not going to make my life harder because you’re uncomfortable around authority. I'm your only authority and you'll do as I say. Understand?" My tone was low and deep, causing her to flinch back from me.

"I understand," Was her only response as she lowered her head in shame. Stupid children. I swear you have to keep them in line longer than necessary these days. I turned my focus back to Slone, closing my eyes to hear her heartbeat. I placed my hand on hers and kept still.

I didn't feel or hear anything at first and then just like my touch was exactly what she needed, her heart rate picked up. 'Slone? Love? Can you hear me?' I asked her in her mind.

"Mmmm," She responded out loud. "Ewwic, mmm," Her voice was slurred and I moved closer to her.

"Slone, can you open your eyes? Help is on the way. Just hang on a little longer for me, please." I started pushed on the dashboard and Evangeline started yelling as soon as the scraping of metal started. At least she was good for one thing right?

I'd pushed the dash forward about six inches but the car they'd smashed into was too far into the car for me to push anymore. If all these damn people weren't around I'd be able to get her out with no problems. I touched her cheek with my hand and she relaxed slightly. "I know it hurts love, just a few minutes more."