Chapter 46- Conscience

Start from the beginning

"What kind of deal?" Tanith blurted out.

"Let me in, and I'll wake him up."

Almost immediately, the blue eyes narrowed down on her, glaring. Cece refused to show it, but she was uncomfortable with that gaze on her. "No. Not again. Last time I let out into one of my best friend's head, you failed me, and I suffered for it." Tanith turned away, and started to slither away, going further into the darkness. "We're not doing that again. I can't trust you."

The manifestation of Tanith's conscience sighed. She knew this would be a problem, but she had to find a way to work through it. She called out to her, trying to stop her from leaving and ruining her chance. "I know that Kenji's death hit us hard-"

Little did Cece know, she chose the worst wording possible. Tanith tensed up and screamed at her. "YOU DON'T GET TO SAY HIS NAME!"

Cece's eyes widened and she was left speechless. Not a word would leave her mouth, even if she wanted it too. Fear was pulsing through her veins. She might not have been fully alive like everyone else, but she could still feel fear.

Tanith caught her breath, slowly swallowing feelings that she thought she had buried a long time ago. She let out a long breath before meeting the green eyes, keeping a cold look. Distance yourself from her. She whispered to herself. "You don't get to say his name." She said again, voice lower. "His death was your fault, and you forced my hand. You couldn't save him, and I'm the one who had to kill him." Tanith trailed off for a moment but finally found the right words to tell her off. "You don't understand how devastating it was. I killed him with my own two hands, and I felt him die. We bonded and I had to kill him! You'll never understand!"

Her mouth opened but Tanith cut her off, moving forward. "Don't say it. Don't say how you felt the same because you are me, because you're not the one who had to drive his own katana into his heart so he'd die a merciful death. You got to hide behind my mind, so don't say a word." She warned, doing her best to not let her words turn into a hateful hiss.

Cece didn't say anything for a long time, but eventually she had to. "Tanith Luna Mutationem, like I said before, I have a deal to make with you."

"Two times? You know I hate it when people use my full name."

Cece's mouth twitched. "It was to get your attention, now let's bargain. You put me into Cody's head, I'll wake him up. Sound fair? Admit it, you're desperate for a solution."

Tanith had to admit, she was tempted, but one thing held her back. "What do you want out of it?"

She didn't speak for a long time, but finally, the truth came out. "Forgiveness."

The word struck Tanith like a truck, but it made so much sense at the same time. So many thoughts, feelings and memories buzzed in her head and she couldn't make a choice.
"We'll see."

Tanith's pace was slower on the way to the hospital than normal. Her mind was full, trying to process it all and trying to believe Cece's intentions and that she would succeed.

How can you trust her again? Last time she did this, she failed you. That little voice was the main doubt for her. Risking something like this wasn't something she wanted to do, but unfortunately, she had to. Cece was right, she wanted Cody to wake up as soon as possible, and she was willing to do anything to achieve that.

All the workers of the hospital were either too busy or too tired to notice the hybrid slithering through their halls and making a beeline for the king. Once inside, she quickly got to his side and placed her hands on his chest.