Cold Bagels and Bitter Cupcakes

Depuis le début

"Why? How are you reacting?" Adrian counters, trying to get Lucas to spit it out already. Adrian is supposed to somehow be finding the latest murderer, and Adrian isn't sure how to do that yet.

"Could you just answer the question?" Lucas snaps, regretting even trying this with Adrian because he knew Adrian would be difficult.

Adrian sighs loudly to imply that he doesn't want to answer. "It's different for every werewolf. That's why you need to tell me what's going on with you before I answer the real question you want to ask."

Adrian leans forward a bit before adding, "Are you in control?"

Lucas feels a growl crawl up his throat, but he swallows it down. Lucas hates playing Adrian's stupid mind games and he doesn't have time for it.

Adrian leans back in his chair again, picking up his cold bagel.

"Alright. I'm having lots of problems. My eyes change color whenever they want, my claws come out and won't go away, and I feel like I'm on the verge of shifting into a wolf all the time!" Lucas admits in an outburst, feeling his eyes glow again.

"There's your problem. Your emotions are running high." Adrian says, pointing to Lucas' now golden eyes.

"I already knew that." Lucas growls out, digging his now clawed fingers into the kitchen table.

"Hey! Watch the wood! I don't want claw marks on my nice kitchen table." Adrian says, eyeing Lucas' clawed hand that's still digging into the table.

"Did you not just hear me? I can't control it. You know what, this wasn't a good idea and I knew that." Lucas exclaims, shoving his seat back to stand up.

"Lucas, sit back down. I know what's going on with you. It's normal, but it'll be hard to control." Adrian starts saying while Lucas reluctantly sits.

"For some odd reason you were okay with control when you were first turned into a werewolf. Now that it's almost your third full moon, you're losing that control. You need an anchor." Adrian explains as Lucas struggles to get himself under control.

"Like a ship?" Lucas questions, barely understanding the conversation because he isn't really paying attention. It's hard to listen when there's a shifting feeling in Lucas' stomach again.

"Yes. You need to figure out the one thing that keeps you steady. The thing that keeps you in place and keeps you human. It's usually a person, but it doesn't have to be." Adrian says in between the last bites of his bagel.

"I think I get it." Lucas says with a nod, thinking of Lena and how last night he thought of her as his rock. Anchor definitely sounds better than rock.

"Good." Adrian replies simply, grabbing another bagel and spreading cream cheese on top.

"Is that all it is?" Lucas questions, wondering if the solution could be so easy as just thinking of Lena.

"Probably. I wouldn't know unless I studied your behavior, and I definitely haven't been doing that." Adrian responds with a sneer.

Adrian chews and swallows his next bite of bagel. "It could be stress. Has anything stressed you out more than usual lately?" Adrian asks Lucas, feeling like a shrink or a therapist.

"Yeah. I had to eat dinner with Lena's parents again. And football tryouts were yesterday." Lucas answers honestly.

Adrian almost laughed because Lucas' problems are teenage related and nothing to do with death or more death. That's what Adrian's dealing with right now.

"It might be that. Has anything else happened besides your loss of control over your eyes and claws?" Adrian questions, feeling like he's getting nowhere with this conversation.