P h o t o #12 - The Boldness Of A Nervous Girl

Start from the beginning

Cooper looked down at me, confused as to why I said that. "What?"

***

"I can't believe school is already over." I repeatedly hit my head against the dashboard, thinking of how badly my punishment will be from my grandmother. It never even dawned on me to check the time, and school had completely slipped my mind. By the time we jumped back into the car and my eyes rested on the digital clock next to the radio, three hours had already passed. We had just missed them, since school had just let out.

Cooper grabbed my shoulder and halted me before I could hit my head again. "Emmy, it's okay! Really, the other three probably told the office you went home sick. So they won't punish you or anything." The boy sloppily tried to make me feel better.

I looked up at him, immediately feeling relief. "Really?"

He immediately removed his hand from my shoulder and focused himself on the road as we turned out of the empty school parking lot. "Y...Yeah, of course." He stuttered.

I turned my eyes to the road, looking at the autumn scenery. 'Oh, how I would love to take a picture of the scenery at the school...I miss passing the time that way...' I remembered how my camera broke the day I met the boys. With this memory fresh in my mind, I suddenly felt a bit annoyed. 'Wait! This is no time to be getting angry at something I can't help! The past is the past, and besides, you're saving up for a new camera anyways! Keep your mind on what's important!' I slapped my hands on my cheeks, making the thoughts go away.

Cooper seemed to notice my actions. "Are you alright?"

"Huh?" I realized my hands were still on my now pink cheeks from all of the slapping. "Oh! Totally fine." I dismissed the subject.

The rest of the car ride was ridden in an awkward silence, which was definitely something different, because when I was with Cooper there was usually never a silent moment. I went back to staring out the window, looking at all of the oranges, yellows, and light browns that caked the city. Before I knew it, we were pulling through the large gate that surrounded Cooper's house, which resembled more of a mansion.

"Do you guys all just hang around at your house after school?" I gave him a look as I unclipped my seatbelt and hopped out of the passenger's seat.

Cooper thought for a moment, then answered. "Pretty much." For a moment, I thought his smile was almost sad, but suddenly it was masked once again. I decided I shouldn't pry if he didn't want to tell me.

We walked towards the large creamy brown doors and stopped at the top of the steps. I took a deep breath as Cooper buzzed us in. I wanted to clear my head so I didn't jumble up my words when I talked to Elliot. In all honesty, I was a bit nervous. I hadn't really had a fight with someone I considered a friend in a long time.

I blinked, wondering why old memories would come to mind at a time like this. I needed to focus on what was important. As soon as the doors opened to the large house, I bolted straight in, wanting to immediately take action.

I wanted this petty feud to be over with.

"Is Elliot here?" I asked, holding myself up by the side of the kitchen door, my breath coming in pockets of damp air.

The first eyes I saw belonged to Parker and Jonas, both wide with a drop of surprise. My vision then turned to Elliot, who's tense back was facing me as he set down the orange soda two liter bottle he was pouring into a cup on the marble counter.

My eyes filled with hope. "Elliot-"

"I don't have anything to say to you." He mumbled, not even turning to face me.