Forgive Me, Llreda

The mist melted away as if it had never been. Outside the long opening of the cave, soft, clean flakes of snow began to fall. But Eofin king of Enedhwin fell to his knees beside Finyref, and took his hands. "Finyref!"

And Finyref's eyes opened, and he looked at him with fast-fading sight.

"I wronged you unspeakably, my friend, my brother. I spoke words undeserving, and did not heed the voice of wisdom as ought a king to do. I would have walked in the path that the bent one set me, and sent our country into the night that I fancied in my pride I was saving it from. Finyref, I ask your forgiveness."

Finyref's voice was scarcely to be heard, even in the silence of the cave while the muffling snow sifted down outside. His hand closed around Eofin's, with a shadow of the strength that had pulled him through the mist. "It is yours, my king."

The snow blew gently into the dimness surrounding them, fluttering and circling down to crown the man's head with stars of white.

"Finyref, llreda..."

"Peace, my king.... I hold it not against you." He fell silent, his face growing pale.

And Finyref, son of Dimfyr, friend and counselor to the king, breathed his last.

_________

llreda: brother, brother in arms