Winter

The king's right hand closed around fiercely around the arm-rest of his throne, and a sadness was in his eyes. "If it is treachery you fear," he said at last, "be at peace. In nothing have we dealt deceitfully with you. Alas! Do you think Dirion is alone in seeing these signs? I have seen them, and sorrowed for my country, which lives unknowing on the brink of some disaster. Though day by day more of them sense the unrest, the poison among us. But I know not its form, nor what its purpose is. Lord Carras, I have no answer to give you."

"Yet you only confirm that we stand in a great peril. What are we to do, King Eofin? Let it overspread Enedhwin, and then all the world?"

The king was silent.

"My lord king, I too love Enedhwin. I have walked among her, and eaten with her people, and spoken her language. Do you know aught of where this evil lies? For if so, let me go to seek it out, that I may know its form and purpose, and carry an answer back to my king."

"You speak brave words, Carras. I do not think you have a true understanding of the danger."

Lord Carras' face grew tense, and he lifted his chin with a proud anger. "Do you so impugn my honour, my lord king? Think what you will, I will not shrink from a task which must be done, not though it slay me in the undertaking."

"Peace, Carras, peace! You speak rashly. I gave no slight upon your honour. So be it, if you must go. Only say that you go of your own will, for I would not wish to tell the king of Dirion that I sent his kinsman to his death."

Carras nodded. "It is as you say."

"If I made a guess –" The king sighed. "If I made any guess, I would tell you to seek in the mountains of Bhern, in the north. I beg of you, Carras – do not do this thing."

"The mountains of Bhern – that is, the mountains of Bear," said Carras thoughtfully. He looked up with one eyebrow cocked, and the merest quirk of a smile on his lips. "Are there bears in them?"

The king looked at him in wonder, and thought, The courageous are said to laugh in the face of danger.

There was silence in the room awhile. Outside a wind picked up, and its wailing penetrated the stone walls of Echerag Castle. Snow hissed through the air to gather thickly on the ramparts.

"Winter is coming," said the king quietly. An understanding passed between their eyes.

"It may go ill with you in the mountains. Carras –"

Carras bent his head in a courtesy, and turning, with swift, graceful strides he departed the room.