"Y/N!"

I almost jumped out of my skin when somebody shouted my name. Turning towards the direction I heard it from, I was immediately engulfed in a bear-hug by an overly-enthusiastic stranger. I froze, unable to react because I was trying to overcome the surprise I felt at the idea that a grounder was hugging me. She couldn't have been dangerous seeing as Q was barely bothered by the action, but I still felt immensely uncomfortable.

When the grounder pulled away, she kept me at arm's length, allowing me to see that she was only young, probably a year or so off myself. Her long brown hair was left out in waves, aside from the occasional braid here and there, framing her grinning face before me. She was staring directly at me, excitement written all over her face. Did I know her..?

"I heard you were back, oh my god, but I wasn't sure whether they were rumours or not," she rambled, tears slipping from her eyes in the process. "You were gone for so long and I thought I would never see you again, wow. But here you are! Defying all odds, as usual."

She chuckled as she wiped away her tears, and even though I had no idea who she was, I knew I already felt guilty at my next words. Despite being a grounder, she felt different to the others. Maybe it was the fact that she wasn't staring me out or the fact that she spoke English, but she was different, making me feel less inclined to act hostile towards her as I probably would have.

"I, uh, I don't know who you are," I spoke softly, anticipating her reaction. "I'm sorry..."

Instead of the expected expression: furrowed eyebrows and a sad smile, the mystery grounder only laughed and punched me in the shoulder playfully.

"You're so lame," she said somewhat cheerfully. "It's been months and you're seriously playing the amnesia card? You taught me all the tricks in the book, Y/N."

My mouth opened, but nothing came out. I looked behind me to Q for help and surprisingly, he was there, stepping forward already. The grounder girl now wore a confused expression as she looked at Q, waiting for him to speak.

"Her memories have been taken from her, Deka," Q spoke, his tall form looming over this Deka girl and I. Now that I thought about it, the name did seem familiar. "She doesn't know who you are, nor the Commander or anyone else for that matter."

I found myself holding my breath as I watched Deka's smile curl into a frown. Her sparkling brown eyes dulled as they darted to mine. She must have realised the truth to Q's words because she shook her head and reached forward to touch me, but I flinched and moved back instantly. She may have seemed different, but she was still a grounder and grounders were horrible people.

"I-I'm sorry, I don't know you, I– I should leave," I said as politely as I could muster, whilst taking a few steps back.

She didn't seem to get the gist that I was uncomfortable though, as she stepped forward and kept her gaze locked on mine. "Y/N, come on. You know me. You know who I am. You have to..."

I shrugged my shoulders helplessly before looking around, trying to figure out what to do. I met Q's gaze and he understood what to do. He placed a hand in front of me, almost guarding me from Deka as I continued to move backwards and away from her. The expression I was getting used to seeing from people was on her face as she let me go.

I turned around and released a deep breath, hoping it would give some clarity to the situation. Obviously it didn't, but nonetheless, I felt slightly better. I could feel Deka's eyes burning into my back as I walked back to the tower. Maybe I could talk to Deka another time, but not now. Definitely not when my mind was in shambles.