sixteen

'sergio stop crying.' i say as he wipes his eyes with a tissue.

'i can't help it, my little girl is married.' he says sniffling as he watches anna dance with her newly wedded husband, pablo.

'she's twenty seven, she's not your little girl anymore.'

'i don't care how old she is, she's still my little girl!' he says.

'how have i managed to spend thirty four years with you?' i say rolling my eyes.

'because you love me.' he says with a wink.

'unfortunately because you're an actual idiot.'

'can the father please take center stage, for the bride and father's dance.'

'go on, dance with your daughter.' i say with a small. he takes a deep breath, wipes his eyes and walks to the stage.

'hey mamá.' says joan standing next to me.

'joan, my baby please don't ever get married.' i say giving him a hug and holding him close.

'i don't want another one of my babies getting married.'

'mamá relax, i'm only twenty four i have pleanty of time.' he says laughing.

'that's exactly what your brother said before he got married! then what did we get? grandkids!'

'i wasn't expecting to be an uncle and nineteen either if i'm honest.' he says laughing.

i continue watching sergio and anna dance together, making me smile.

how quickly these years with sergio have gone. how i was twenty five when we first started talking and now i'm nearly sixty. if you told me that i was marrying sergio, have three kids with him and have grandkids i would have burst out laughing.

everyone starts clapping as the dance finishes and more people start dancing together.

'may i have this dance?' asks sergio.

'you know i'm not one to dance.'

'tell me about it, you nearly made me drag you to the stage on our wedding night. but come on it's our only daughter's wedding, we won't see this again. unless she gets a divorced and remarried but let's not go there.'

'alright fine.' i say taking his hand and we walk to the stage, surrounded by people.

'see this is nice.' says sergio with a smile. i look up at sergio, he looks the exactly same from the day we started dating. same smile, same eyes, same laugh, just slightly more wrinkles and his hair going grey.

'what are you looking at?' he asks looking down.

'i'm just thinking.'

'about?'

'us. and what we've been through. about the time we nearly got divorced.' i say.

'only us would want to get divorced because we couldn't handle an argument.' says sergio laughing.

'gosh i love you so fucking much sergio ramos garcía.' i say.

'i love you too.' he says with a smile, kissing me slightly.

'i still can't believe i married a piqué though.' he says laughing making me roll my eyes.

'good thing you're cute.' i say.