Detention and My Hand

Dinner was not pleasant for Harry, people all around us whispered about what he shouted at Umbridge. Other people are talking about the joke I used and saying that whenever they have the chance, they're gonna use it.

"What I don't get," Harry said through clenched teeth, he put his knife and fork down because his hands are shaking like, mad. "Is why they all believe the story two months ago when Dumbledore told them . . ."

"Harry, the truth is, I don't think they did," I said. I stood up and grabbed Harry's hand, the whispering becoming louder. "C'mon, let's get out of here."

As I walked past Ron, I grabbed the neck of his robes and yanked him away from his half eaten pie.

"What d'you mean, you're not sure they believed Dumbledore?" Harry asked me as we reached the first landing.

"Look," I stopped and turned to him. "You don't understand what it was like after it happened. You arrived back in the middle of the lawn clutching Cedric's dead body . . . None of us saw what happened in the maze . . . We just had Dumbledore's word for it that Voldemort had come back and killed Cedric and fought you."

"Which is the truth!" Harry said loudly.

"I know it is, Harry, so will you please stop biting my head off?" I snapped. "It's just that before the truth could sink in, everyone went home for the summer, where they spent two months reading about how you're a nutcase and Dumbledore's going senile!"

We walked up to the Fat Lady.

"Mimbulus Mimbletonia," Hermione said. The portrait swung open and we all scrambled inside.

Jasper jumped off and armchair and trotted towards me, purring loudly. I grinned and bent down, I held my hand out and Jasper rubbed his face against it.

I straightened up and walked over to my favorite chair as well as Ron, Harry and Hermione. Jasper jumped on my lap and put his head on my arm.

"Oh, how could Dumbledore make this happen?!" I cried, Harry, Ron and Hermione jumped. Jasper jumped off me, looking affronted. I pounded on the arm chair so bits of stuffing shot out. "How can he let that disgusting woman teach us? And in our O.W.L. Year too!"

"Well, we've never had great Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers, have we?" Harry said. "You know what it's like, Hagrid told us, nobody wants the job, they say it's jinxed."

"Yes, but to have someone who's actually refusing to let us do magic! What's Dumbledore playing at?" Hermione said, joining me about Umbridge.

"And she's trying to get people to spy for her," Ron said darkly. "Remember when she said she wanted us to come and tell her if we hear anyone saying You-Know-Who's back?"

"Of course she's here to spy on us, that's obvious, why else would Fudge have wanted her to come?" I snapped.

"Don't start arguing again," Harry said warily as Ron opened his mouth. "Can't we just . . . Lets do that homework, get it out of the way . . ."

"I did mine," I said, so I put my head on the back of the chair and closed my eyes.

"Shall we do Snape's stuff first?" Ron said. "The properties . . . Of moonstone . . . And its uses . . . In potion making . . ." Ron muttered as he wrote it down. "There." I can feel someone's eyes on me, so I looked over to the boys to see them looking at me.

"Do it yourself, I'm not helping," I said.

"But you've already done this," Ron said desperately. "Just tell me about it and I'll write it down!"

"Okay," I sighed. "Go to the library and search it up!"

Ron wrote that down, looked it over and glared at me while I smirked at him.