10☆ can you explain?

Luke stared at Michael with wide eyes, trying to understand what the boy just said.

"Can you explain?"
Luke asked softly. Michael sighed, pulling his  knees to his chest as he looked out at the sunset.

"My mom left us when I was ten. I always told everyone that she was just walked out on us but that's not what actually happened"
Michael said quietly. Luke slid a bit closer to the boy, their arms touching ever so softly. It send chills down Luke's spine. It felt like electricity was swimming in the air around Luke, making the hair on the back of his sweaty neck stand.

"Do you want to tell me
what really happened?"
Luke asked. Michael laid his chin in
his knee, his body subconsciously
leaning more towards his teacher.

"It was the night before I turned ten. I was so excited that I couldn't sleep. I stayed up all night watching Avatar: The Last Airbender on my laptop. When it hit 3am my parents door opened. My dad was working nights at the time so it had to be my mother. I paused my show so she wouldn't hear that I was awake and get mad at me. When I heard her walking down the stairs I got curious; what was she doing awake at that time? I followed her downstairs, she was sitting on the couch so I sat in the middle of the staircase and watched her. I thought maybe she was up late to wrap a birthday present of something, but she wasn't. She pulled something out of the coffee table drawer and held it in her hands for a while as she cried. I wanted to go down there and comfort her but I was still scared that she would be mad if I was awake. So I just sat there. She wrapped a blanket around whatever was in her hand and held under her chin. There was a muffled pop but then my mom was falling on the couch and the blanket hit the floor... I sat on the stairs until 6 when my dad came home and saw me. He smiled at me and asked what I was doing up so early. I remember finally letting my tears fall as I pointed to where my mother was laying unmoving on the couch"
Michael stopped talking as his throaty clamped up. Tears fell down his cheeks, his hands going up to furiously wipe them away.

"Michael- I-"
Luke was speechless, his head was spinning as he stared at the broken boy before him. Michael wasn't just shy, he was ripped and torn and battered. From all angles Luke could now clearly see all the ripped seams that adorned Michaels mind.

"My father started drinking a lot after my mom did what she did. That one day led to him shooting up in my uncles garage while I sat there doing my homework. That was the first day I discovered my love for writing.
I wrote a story about this little boy being
left in a river because his mother couldn't
take care of him. Soon enough his little habit
became a full blown addiction and there
were people always coming over, being
loud and criticizing me. He always said he
would stop but I always knew it was just
white lies. I guess nothing really changes" 
Michael explained the rest with sad eyes, holding himself as a light breeze began to blow against his small body. Luke hesitantly wrapped an arm around Michaels shoulder. To his surprise, the boy instantly leaned into him, hugging the older mans torso. Luke used his free hand to rub Michaels arm.

"Things do change, Michael. Even
if you don't realize it, you've grown
so strong. I know you're shy and reserved
but your also strong, kind, smart, beautiful
and so much more than you can imagine"
Luke softly said as he ran his fingers through Michaels hair. Michael let out a shaky breath as he leaned completely into Luke.

For one, peaceful moment, Luke wasn't a teacher and Michael wasn't his student.

For one peaceful moment, Luke could hold and admire Michael without the weight of the world crashing into his mind.

"You're gonna be okay, Michael"
Luke said softly, pressing his nose into Michaels soft hair. The strands smelled like strawberries and Luke couldn't get enough of it. Michael sniffled, snuggling his head closer to Luke's chest.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to drop
this all on you. I've just never told
anyone that and it was killing me"
Michael said in a soft, barely audible voice. Luke hushed the boy, pulling the boy closer. He was taking advantage of Michaels vulnerable state so he could hold him.

"Don't apologize, I'm here"
Luke assured, running his thumb in soft circled against Michaels arm. Michael sighed out heavily, his eyes slipping shut for a few seconds as he absorbed all the warmth Luke was giving.

They sat there for hours, watching the sunset then gazing the stars. The night was warm and they simply talked. Michael learned how Luke's sister was dyslexic and he taught her how to read and cope, which is how he found his passion for English and teaching. Luke learned all of Michaels favorites; color, flower, animal, etc. Luke was also told how his mother and father once took him to Disneyland and he had one of the best days of his life.

They felt like the rest of the world had just disappeared for a few hours and nothing could stop them from cuddling on a cliff.