3 ☆ Can You Keep This Between Us?

Chapter Three: Can You Keep This Between Us?

"Why are you so shy
with everyone except me?"
Ashton asks as he grabs a slice of pizza and a pudding cup from the lunch bar. Michael shrugs, copying the boys action and also grabbing a soda.

"You're nice to me so I don't
see why I have to be scared"
Michael said, walking behind Ashton
to find a table. Ashton sat down at a somewhat secluded lunch table outside of the cafeteria, a large oak tree blocking the sun from the two boys.

"What's got you so shy? You're
fucking awesome yet you keep
yourself hidden behind oversized sweater"
Ashton giggled, poking Michael's cheek teasingly. Michael rolled his eyes, taking a small bite out of his pizza as he smacked Ashton's hand away.

"I just grew up wrong. My mom
was never around and my dad..."
Michael trailed off, stuffing his mouth with pizza in hopes Ashton wouldn't press the conversation. The hazel eyed boy nodded, seemingly understanding the look of sadness written across Michael's face.

"My dad wasn't around. I practically had to raise my brother and sister cause my mom was working all the time to provide for us" Ashton said. "It's alright if you didn't grow up perfectly, no one does. That just means you have more to learn from"

"Can we keep this between us?"
Michael asked. Ashton nodded with a warm expression. Michael smiled small, taking another bite of his pizza as he nodded.

"So what's the deal with Mr Hemmings?" Ashton asked. Michael gave him a questioning look, his eyebrows furrowed.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh come on. That man stares at you like you're a little kitten in the pouring rain"
Ashton said like it was obvious. Michael scrunched his nose and furrowed his eyebrows.

"Ashton he's our teacher"
Michael pointed out like it was obvious, because it was obvious. Ashton shrugged, looking over to the school doors where Luke was standing. Ashton chuckled when he saw that Luke continuously stole glances at Michael.

"He's totally into you. Maybe he's just
into the broken type, no offense"
Ashton said.

"None taken"
Michael mumbled as he threw his
food away, keeping his soda.

"Mr Hemmings is coming over here, act natural, don't do anything stupid"
Ashton whisper-yelled. Michael slightly panicked, trying not to choke on his soda as Luke approached the table.

"Good afternoon boys. Mind if I sit?"
The older man asked.

"Why, of course not Mr Hemmings, I'm actually very late for an important-
thingy that's- very, important so, bye!"
Ashton hurried as he packed up his things and rushed to leave. He sent a wink to Michael before disappearing into the crowds.

"Strange boy"
Luke mumbled as he pushed his sunglasses further up the bridge of his nose. Michael giggled, nodding in agreement.

"I- I sh-should go"
Michael stuttered, blushing harshly.

"No, Michael. Wait"
Luke hurried to say before Michael could pick up his backpack. The smaller boy sat back down, squinting slightly as he looked at his teacher.

"The schools debate team has an opening. It's only a small group of five and they need six in order to compete. If you want to all I need to do is say the word and you're in. You technically only have to compete in one subject and luckily the subject open
is English. I've seen your work Michael, your mind is absolutely incredible and
I really think you should do this"
Luke explained. Michael furrowed his eyebrows, his brain spinning in all
different directions.

"What? No, I- I can't. Thank you but no"
Michael shook his head as he stood up and rushed away. Luke sighed, running his fingers through his hair as he watched Michael walk back into the school.

"Did you ask him out?"
A familiar deep voice. Luke rolled his eyes as Alex sat down where Michael previously was.

"No. I asked if he would like to join the debate team because I think he's incredibly smart but he said no then ran away"
Luke sighed, resting his chin on his palm.

"Why are you even going after him?
He's shy are your adventurous. He lives
in sweaters and you like the beach. It's
not like your the perfect match. Plus, there's also the fact that you're twenty
three and he's, I'm guessing, sixteen"
Alex pointed out. Luke scowled at his best friend.

"Fuck off, asshole. He's seventeen"
Luke muttered, getting up
and walking away.