Chapter 5: All The Same To Me

Mulai dari awal

No matter how many times I told myself I was ready, I knew I wasn’t. In fact, I was terrified. What if people here didn’t like me? What if I hated my teachers? What if-?

“Meeya, stop.” Derek suddenly said, looking at me with his serious face.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, looking at him confused.

“You’re over thinking things again; I can see it in your face.” He said, and I glared at him. Derek had always been able to tell how I felt about something by looking at my face, it was like he could read my mind; he liked to call me his ‘opened book’.

“And what are you doing all day?” I asked changing the subject, turning to face him.

“Looking into some things—“He shrugged, avoiding my question. I glared at him, and he smirked. “I’m just going to be looking around here for a house or an apartment-“

“A house?” I asked, confused. “Why would you need a house?”

“If you haven’t noticed, this house is not in the best condition. I am not going to let you live here any longer.”He said, putting his hand on my back and pushing me out the door. “Now go to school, you’re already late as it is.”

--

To my immense surprise, I hadn’t had any trouble finding the school. I still didn’t know Beacon Hills all that well, and in the beginning I thought driving myself to school on my first day would only lead to me getting lost. However, before I knew it, I was pulling into the school parking lot, which to my dismay, was packed with loud teenagers.

Everyone’s head immediately turned around as my car roared into the lot. And right then and there, I couldn’t have been happier for dark tinted windows.

They were all staring, their eyes following the car, clearly wondering who was inside.

“This is going to be interesting,” I grumbled to myself, as I parked next to a silver Porsche. I stepped out of the car, and I threw my bag over my shoulder, wrapping my arms around myself.

Even though the parking lot was packed with people, it seemed as if my footsteps echoed throughout the lot; dozens of faces turned toward me at once. My palms were sweaty. My cheeks were getting flushed, and I probably stood out like a signal flare. I had promised myself that I would be strong and that I wouldn’t let the crowd get to me, but so much for promises.

The murmuring of whispers grew louder in an instant.

“Who is that? I’ve never seen her before.”

“Damn, she’s hot!”

“She better be single!”

Soon enough, I was inside the school, and luckily, it wasn’t as packed. I walked around the main hallway, finding the front office in no time. I looked over the counter, which separated the office in half, but there was no one there. The rest of the office seemed to be empty as well. I sighed as I took a seat in the row of chairs inside the office and looked through my bag, checking to see if I had everything. I was so absorbed in my own anxiousness and thoughts, that I did not hear anybody approach until a voice spoke.

“Good morning hun, need any help?” I turned around to see a red haired lady, maybe around her forties. Her name tag declared her as ‘Rebecca McNulty’. I smiled at her, she seemed nice enough.

“Yes, uh, I’m kind of new here-“I started.

She didn’t even let me finish my sentence before she walked over to the opposite side of the counter and said, “And what’s your name?”