Chapter 2: After The Storm

Touch me I’m cold, unable to control.

Touch me I’m golden and wild as the wind blows.

If just for tonight darling, let’s get lost.”

-“Let’s Get Lost”, Bat for Lashes ft. Beck

I head downstairs, in search of some ice cream, knowing a rich and creamy bucket of Butter Pecan ice cream might possibly help me feel better about Derek leaving. And after retrieving a quart from the freezer, I cradle it in my arms and reach for a spoon, then the whole thing crashes to the ground when I hear a voice say:

“So touching, so very, very touching.”

I bend over, squeezing the toes that got nailed by a quart of Butter pecan ice cream, as I gape at a perfectly turned-out Kate Argent—legs crossed, hands folded, a prim and proper lady, seated right there at my breakfast bar.

“So cute how Derek left a little note for you in that tree.” She laughs, her eyes grazing over me.

I gaze at her, concentrating on my breath, keeping it slow and steady, trying to not to get angry and shift.

“If you’re looking for Derek, he’s not here.” I finally say, my voice scratchy, hoarse, like it hasn’t been used for days.

She lifts her brow. “Trust me, I know where Derek is. I always know where he is. It’s what I do.”

“So you’re a stalker?” I press my lips together, knowing I shouldn’t antagonize her, but hey, I have nothing to lose. Either way, she’s here to kill me.

She twists her lips and holds her hand in front of her face, inspecting her perfectly manicured nails. “Hardly,” she mumbles.

“Well if that’s how you’ve chosen to spend your last 50 years, then some might say—“

“I’m only 32, you dreadful stupid dog!” She looks me over and scowls.

She rolls her eyes and stands. She moves toward me, her smile growing wider with each approaching step, slinking around the large granite counter like a Siamese cat. “Quite frankly, I can’t imagine what it is like to be a werewolf. I mean, it’s because of it that you always seem to suffer. It’s because of your filthy bloodline that you’re going through all of this now. If only you hadn’t lived through that damn fire.” She shakes her head. “I mean, just when I thought it was safe to leave, just when I was sure you were dead, the next thing I know, surprise, you’re alive!” She shakes her head again. “You’d think that after all these years, I’d have a little more patience. But then, you really do bore me, and clearly that’s not my fault. Derek or that other bitch would’ve already attacked by now.”

“You caused the fire?”

She looks at me and rolls her eyes. “Yes, I caused the house fire. Why must everything be so spelled out for you?” She shakes her head. “In the end, it was almost too easy to be any fun. But make no mistake, Meeya, this time Derek’s not here to save you, and I will stick around to get the job done.”

I scan the room, searching for some sort of protection, eyeing the knife rack on the other side of the room, but knowing I’ll never get to it in time. I’m not fast like Derek or Laura are. At least, I didn’t think I was. And there’s really no time to find out. She noticed what I was staring and chuckled.