Chapter 1: Sadness Is A Blessing

Chapter 1: Sadness Is A Blessing

“These scars of mine make wounded rhymes tonight

I dream of times when you were mine so I 

can keep it like a haunting

Your heart beating close to mine”

-Sadness Is A Blessing, Lykke Li

--

The arrow thudded into the wall.

Fire. The old, dry wood of our home burst into flames in an instant. Dark smoke filled the air; scratching my lungs and making me choke. I looked around for something familiar and spotted Derek in the far corner of the room, his face filled with fear and horror.

Arrow after arrow sliced through the air, stoking the flames higher. Through the haze of ash, I desperately sought Derek’s eyes. I knew he would protect me no matter, but he was in danger, too. If something happened to Derek while he was trying to rescue me, I could never forgive myself.

Coughing from the soot-thick air, I grabbed Derek’s hand and ran with him toward the door. But they were ready for us. Until that moment, I hadn’t known what fear was. Horror jolted through me, cold as ice water. There was a knot in my throat that kept me back from screaming. I was paralyzed. Why hadn’t I realized until now how little I understood about the hard facts of being a werewolf? It never seemed like anything I had to question before.

Silhouetted against the flames, a dark, forbidding line of figures stood just beyond the edge of the house. All of them branded weapons, ready to attack and destroy. They had come for us. They had come to punish me along with the rest of my family. They had come to kill.

There was nowhere to go, no place to run. We couldn’t remain here, not with the blaze around us roaring, already so hot that it stung my skin. Soon the ceiling would collapse and crush us all. Outside, the hunters waited.

I stood motionless, not knowing what do. I was only six years old, and even though my parents had trained me to know what to do in case this happened, I still remained frozen. I was in shock. I needed my parents, I needed for them to tell me everything was going to be okay. In that precise moment, I felt someone grab my shoulder, and I cried out in panic, but as I turned around, I recognized Derek’s icy blue eyes.

“It’s going to be okay.” He said, and with that, he tightened his grip on my hand as for reassurance and ran to the stairs that lead to a secret exit underground, that my parents and Derek’s parents had strictly banned us from using unless it was an emergency. I suddenly bolted to a stop, which caused Derek confusion. “What are you doing? We have to get out of here!” And with that, he yanked my hand and began to run. It was getting really hard to breathe, and the smoke made it almost impossible to see where we were going. But Derek, being Derek, didn’t give up till we found the secret opening in the floor that lead to the basement where the underground tunnel would lead us to our only chance of escape.

“I’m going to jump first-“

“Don’t leave me!” I cried in panic, the tears already forming behind my eyes, threatening to spill. Ever since I could remember, I always had a fear of being left alone.

Derek looked at me concerned and there was something in his eyes that I could not comprehend. Derek had never been comfortable showing his feelings or his thoughts, he was a weird child, always keeping to himself and trusting none. That was just Derek. So in that moment when he wrapped his arms around me and whispered in my ear “I would never leave you,” to low that I almost didn’t catch, I knew right then and there that no mattered what happened, I was going to be okay. Derek was going to be okay. And everything else was going to be okay.