Chapter 5: All The Same To Me

Chapter 5: All The Same Too Me

“When the flood comes up, I’ll dance in the rain

‘cause it’s all the same to me.

Don’t you know? Well it’s all the same to me.”

-“All the Same to Me”, Anya Marina

Beep. Beep. Beep

I rolled over on my side, cracking open an eye to glare at my guilty cell phone that had been excessively beeping. I groaned, pulling myself up and crawling out of the sofa bed, giving my head a scratch while letting the light brown hair locks out of the loose bun they had been in.

Fifty minutes pass six and I had to leave at 7:25 to get my schedule and such. With another growl, I trudged to the bathroom to take a shower.

As soon I was done, I wrapped a towel around myself and stepped out of the shower into the coldness of the room. Determined to act like a normal teenager for at least the first day of the school, I stared at my pale reflection in the bathroom mirror, untangling the knots in my straight, caramel colored hair. With my ballet-dancer frame, translucent- looking skin, pink pouty lips, and big hazel eyes, I knew I was pretty. People were always saying so, and I’d always see boys look at me from afar, intrigued.

But that was as far as anything went. I always wondered why that was; why boys never came up to me, or how I could barely sustain a small group of friends. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want to be anybody else if I could, but the curiosity had always been there.

Laura had always told me it was because I wasn’t normal. And she didn’t mean it in the fact of me being a werewolf, but saying I had always been more mature than any of the other kids my age. That was remotely true; it was like I was seeing something completely different from my eyes than what everyone else was seeing in theirs. But that was the way I had been raised; there had never been any ‘play time’ in the Hale house, it was always business.

“Meeya! Would you hurry it up? You’re going to be late.” Derek yelled, his voice echoing throughout the house. I sighed as I changed into some clothes I had bought on mine and Derek’s small shopping trip and applied some makeup—just foundation to cover up some blemishes, rosy blush, eye liner, and mascara. I covered my lips with pink lip-gloss and let out a breath, and looked at myself in the mirror with a sharp eye.

First days were critical, in my opinion at least. I was not about to be something I wasn’t, but I still at least wanted to make an okay impression. That was the main goal. With a final nod, I took one last look in the mirror and decided my appearance would have to do

“Kay, I’m ready.” I said, grabbing my bag from the sofa and throwing it over my shoulder and grabbing my leather jacket just in case I needed it. Derek was sitting in the stairs, he seemed like something was bothering him, but I was sure I didn’t want to know what that was, so I decided not to ask.

My lips turned into an instant smile when Derek handed me a coffee cup.

“Peppermint Mocha?”I guessed, and Derek nodded. He was aware of how much I loved my coffee. I had to drink coffee every morning, and if I didn’t, I usually had a headache by the afternoon.

“Are you ready for this?” He asked as I followed behind him and into the kitchen.

“I guess,” I muttered, as Derek grabbed my car keys from the table and threw them in my direction. My stomach had somehow magically turned into a bundle of nerves. I took a sip of my coffee, the hotness of it slightly burning my tongue.