Chapter 4: New Morning

“Wanna be ok when I'm sitting here alone

Not just thinking of the ways that I could have done it wrong

No, I'm getting kinda rich on the side of any soul alive”

-“New Morning”, Alpha Rev

The next morning, I woke up screaming at the top of my lungs.

I almost expected Derek to come check on me. I buried my head in the sofa cushion and tried to muffle the hysterics that my screams were building into. I pressed the cushion against my face.

Derek didn’t come in, and eventually I was able to strangle the strange screeching coming out of my throat. Ever since the fire accident happened, the next few weeks I always had nightmares, every night. Not nightmares, in the plural, more like nightmare. It was always the same dream. But the dream never failed to horrify me, and only ended when I woke myself with screaming. I guess Derek was used to it by now.

I felt absolutely hideous. I hadn’t slept well, and my head ached, and to make it even worse I was hungry, and I was aware there wasn’t any food in this house. I yawned as I walked around the house in search of my purple messenger bag with my belongings. As I passed the kitchen, I glanced at a clock, and realized it was much later than I expected. It was nearly 3 p.m. no wonder I felt so disgusting. All of a sudden, I heard my phone ring and I followed the noise upstairs to a bedroom I remembered being Laura’s. Sure enough, my bag was plopped there in the floor. I searched for my phone, and realized I had 6 missed calls, all from Derek. I decided I would call him back once I took a quick shower. I searched for some clean clothes and my toiletries, and went to the downstairs bathroom, that for my surprise, was working just fine.

As I got out of the shower, I changed into some sweats and a hoodie and some sneakers. I washed my face and teeth, and brushed my light brown hair, putting it up in a pony tail. As soon as I was out of the shower, I called Derek. I knew he’d be mad at me for not answering or calling him sooner, but whatever.

“Hello?” he answered relief clearly in his voice. “Meeya, are you ready?”

“Um yeah, why?” I said, as I walked towards the living room and began to pick up.

“Good, I’ll be there to pick you up in a few.” He said, and I could hear the car accelerating from the background.

“Where are we going?” I asked confused. Where would Derek want to be taking me?

“You’re hungry, aren’t you?” He said, and I nodded even though he couldn’t see me. “Just be ready.” And with that, the call ended. I grabbed my phone and decided I would wait for him outside. I closed the door behind me, and went outside, sitting on the porch steps. Sooner than later, I saw Derek’s black Camaro pull in beside me. I hopped in the car and put on my seat belt.

“Please tell me you’re not taking me to some yucky fast food restaurant.” I said looking at him seriously. I’ve always hated fast food restaurants for some reason, I like the home made stuff.

“We can get some Chinese-“

“I love Chinese noodles!” I yelled, excited. He chuckled and nodded his head.

“And after, we’ll take a quick trip to the store to get you some clothes-“My eyes widened, and my mouth literally flew open. Was Derek actually suggesting going shopping with me? “Don’t look at me like that, you know I hate shopping, especially with you, but you need the clothes.” I laughed, and nodded.

“Sounds good. But, why all of a sudden? I have like two weeks’ worth of clothes-“I started.

“I forgot to mention. You have school tomorrow.” He said meekly. I literally slapped him upside the head. Was he serious?”Meeya, just because all this is happening doesn’t mean you don’t need your education. You’re going to try your best to be normal, and go to college and have a career, alright? You’re going to school, end of story.”