Chapter 3: Awake My Soul

Magsimula sa umpisa

It was his expression that made him almost completely unrecognizable. The open, friendly smile I was so used to was gone, and his dark eyes altered to a brooding resentment that was instantly disturbing. There seemed to be darkness to Derek now.

“Derek?” I whispered.

He just stared at me, his eyes tense and angry. His glare was vicious. I’d never seen him look at anyone like that, least of all me. “What are you doing here?” He repeated.

“Mom’s dead.” I said in a weak voice.

“What?” He asked, like he didn’t comprehend what I said in the first place. Even though I knew he had heard.

“Mom’s dead!” I hissed, and my voice was stronger. He didn’t say anything, he just stared at me. I stared back, and the silence stretched on.

I felt a lump beginning to build in my throat. I got out of his grasp, and began walking towards the house. My feet squished in the damp grass and mud beside the road, and, as that was the only sound, at first I thought he wasn’t following me. But when I glanced around, he was right beside me, his feet having somehow found a less noisy path than mine.

“Who did it?” His voice turned brittle and he looked over my head, past me, rage burning out from his eyes. My mouth fell open and my breath came out with a whooshing sound. I was frozen in place, stabbed through with his double-edged words. The pain twisted in familiar through my body, the jagged hole ripping me open the inside out. I couldn’t believe that I’d heard him correctly. There was no trace of indecision in his face. Only fury.

I raised one eyebrow in disbelief. “I think you know exactly who did it. You’re not going to make me say it, are you?”

“Who?” He repeated. He was quiet for a moment. I turned my head to the side, to see his expression. It surprised me. His eyes were slightly squinted, his teeth clenched, his forehead wrinkled. He didn’t need me to say it, in order for him to know.

“The hunters.” I said slowly, drawing out the word.

“They won’t stop till they’ve finished what they started.”He said.

“I still don’t understand what they want from us. We’ve never done anything to them or to anybody else! Why do they want to kill us?!” He didn’t flinch as I shouted the words in his face.

“For existing.” He hissed. Derek was fuming in front of me, quivering with anger. I shook my head back and forth in denial, trying to clear it at the same time. The rain started to pour, stinging here and there against my skin. Derek kept staring at me with an expression like something was stabbing him. He held one hand out, looking at my eyes. I took his hand, and suddenly he yanked me—too roughly that I thudded against his chest.

“I’m so sorry Meeya,” He muttered against my hair, crushing me in a bear hug that I could feel breaking my ribs.

“Can’t—breathe!” I gasped, he dropped me at once. We began walking towards the house in silence, it was weird seeing my childhood house burned down, and it was almost unrecognizable. The front of the house wasn’t as bad as the back part, it was actually standing. The roof was almost gone, and I wondered if Derek had actually been living here for the past weeks.

We had barely entered the house when I began sneezing uncontrollably; there was so much dust. I was sure Derek hadn’t even raised a finger to clean this place up. I stopped walking and looked around the house, a rush of memories replaying themselves in my head. The stairs where I used to sit and wait for my dad to get home, the living room where my aunt used to play her piano, and even the small hallway where me and Derek stood in opposite directions and threw the ball at each other. I couldn’t help but smile.