7 ➼ ❝we make love between the spaces of our fingers❞ (rucas)

for: rucas fic week 2017 // day 2 // hosted by friarlucas (tumblr) & rileysmatthews (tumblr)  // thank you to ginsharry (tumblr) for beta reading this one shot !!!

author's note: this day calls for hand holding, so strap yourselves in and get ready for an extremely fluffy ride. :)

. . .

If Lucas had to pick his second favourite thing in the world—coming in second, only to talking with Riley Matthews—it would be holding Riley Matthews' hand.

It was a simple gesture, one the two had become accustomed to in the years they've known each other. It was a reflex for Lucas, whenever anything happened—whether it be good news, bad news, or comfortable silence—he'd reach out and let her make the connection between them. The spaces between his long fingers always having room for her slim and smaller ones.

So here he sat facing the beautiful brunette in front of him, both of them with long legs crossed and knees touching. Her hands were in his as they sat in silence, his thumbs rubbing circles on the back of them.

"You know," Lucas says, breaking the silence, "I think each space between our fingers means something."

Riley looks up and meets his forest eyes. She cocks her head with a mischievous look in her eyes, "What do they mean, then?"

Lucas gets lost in the depth of her eyes for a moment, almost forgetting she asked a question. He clears his throat. "Well, for example.." He releases both of her hands from their locked position in his, and with both of his, picks up her right hand only. "This one," he says, as he maneuvers his left pinky finger between her pinky and fourth finger on her right hand, "This space here represents the time we first met. On the subway in seventh grade."

Riley lets out a soft giggle, "The beginning."

"The beginning," Lucas agrees never taking his eyes off their hands. "I was new to town, having just left my only home and best friend. I was definitely lost, nervous, and scared. But for a moment, after you landed on my lap, I had forgotten all of that. It almost felt like I was meant to take that seat on the subway. Like fate wanted me there."

"Well, there's no such thing as coincidence," Riley says matter-of-factly.

"Exactly," Lucas replies.

He laughs lightly and moves his ring finger, connecting it to the space between her fourth and middle fingers. "The second space here," he explains, "Is for the time I realized that home is wherever my friends are—wherever you are."

Riley's face turns soft, "We'll always be your home, Lucas."

"I know," he whispers, smiling too. Their eyes meet for a moment before he continues.

He moves through each reason by placing his fingers in the spaces between hers where they fit.

"The third space is for our first date," He reminisces.

"And our first kiss," she adds, blushing slightly.

Lucas nods. "I remember I was talking with Farkle—about what I couldn't tell you now—but then I saw you. And, Riley, you were so beautiful, I felt like the entire world stopped."

Riley's small smile lifts higher as tears begin to prickle at her eyes. Lucas uses his free hand to brush away a stray tear before he continues. "You're so beautiful, Riley."

Riley's eyes glisten with a naivety that Lucas adores. Hell, everything she does is endearing to him.

"And the fourth," he moves their fingers, "Is for the one time we tried dating for real. But we decided that we didn't need to be pressured into that. We'd get here eventually, I always knew that."

one shots ›› girl meets worldजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें