Epilogue

"You're leaving so soon?" Mrs. Hudson whimpered.

I smiled at her sadly as I sat at her small table in her kitchen. She was bustling around, making me a cup of coffee. "I've been here for months," I told her. "It's time I headed home."

"Well, I wish you and John visited more. Things have been lonely here ever since..."

"I know." My throat tightened at the reminder. My mind drifted to the apartment upstairs, my former home in London. "If it makes you feel any better, I'll try and call you every now and again to check in."

"I'm glad you decided to stop by before you left."

"I'd hate myself if I didn't say goodbye to you." Mrs. Hudson handed me the steaming mug. I blew on it, setting it down on the table. I didn't want to scorch my hands.

"Did you want a spot of breakfast?"

"Oh, no, I couldn't. I ate before I came here," I declined kindly. My pinkie nail scraped the surface of the table. I nudged the bags at my feet on the floor, making sure they hadn't disappeared. I figured I'd take my things with me so I didn't make a trip back to retrieve them.

Besides, my flight was leaving in less than two hours.

"Oh!" Mrs. Hudson squeaked, looking towards her doorway. I peeked around to see John coming. I grinned. "John! What a lovely surprise. I wondered why you hadn't come along with Rachel."

"She left before I could," he answered.

"Ah, so you got my message," I sang. I'd left him a text once I was in the taxi. I'd forgotten to write something down on paper before I left, it'd totally slipped my mind. I was lucky I managed to remember to leave him my whereabouts.

"Yes, and next time leave a proper note."

"I will."

"Do you want something to eat while you're here, John?" Mrs. Hudson pressed.

"Oh, sorry, I'm afraid I can't stay. I've got a cab running."

"Seriously? I can't stay for, like, ten more minutes?" I whined. "I don't want to leave."

"You do if you want to catch the plane. Now come on, I've already got my things in there. If the driver leaves and takes my stuff, you're paying for it all."

"Hold on," Mrs. Hudson interjected. We both looked at her. "Where are you going, John?"

"Oh." I blushed, becoming interested in my coffee. "I'd forgotten how long it's been since we've seen each other, Mrs. Hudson. You've missed quite a bit." Slowly, I rose from the chair.

"Like what?" She put her hands on her hips.

"I found my dad."

"Oh!" She clapped her hands. "I'm so happy for you, dear! Who is he?"

I snickered, flicking a thumb in John's direction. "You're looking at him."

Mrs. Hudson's dark eyes widened. "Stop joking, Rachel."

I pouted. "I'm not. We took a test to confirm it. We're...we're related."

Mrs. Hudson let out a squeak. "How unexpected!"

"Tell us about it," John muttered under his breath. "Come on, Rachel, we really need to leave."

"But I don't understand why you're leaving."