Three steps off the edge

~ Harry

"That's the girl you were talking about?!!" Louis gasped as he did a once-over, smirking for the world to see. "She's pretty hot!"

"Hey! That's my daughter your talking about!" The man hollered, pointing to Louis and I critically. So what, she was hot I'm sure guys have said even dirtier things about her. He needed to live with the fact that his daughter was practically a goddess. "I'm watching you, both!" He added, crinkling his eyebrows and placing a hand on the small of Alaina's back.

Niall, Liam, and Zayn exchanged puzzled glances and tumbled out of the booth, rubbing there stomachs as they got up. "We're not feeling well. Bye!" They all waved goodbye in unison and exited the resturant chuckling.

Alaina shot me a glower and placed a hand on her protruded hip, like she was extremely disenchanted by my actions. She should get use to them, I was going to stick around for a while. I wasn't going to change anytime soon. "I can't believe you flirted with a girl twice your age!" She exclaimed as Holly walked away sending me winks from time to time.

"So what I like girls older than me, what's it to you? Are you jealous?" I teased as a smirk snuck up on my lips.

"I'm not jealous!" She spat defensively, creating my insides to boil. It was pretty discernable that she was jealous of/envied Holly. She could confess to it, I didn't mind. I just couldn't stand when girls armoured their true emotions.

"Are you sure? Your getting pretty defensive."

"I'm gonna go now, I don't want to get in your guys way." Louis cut in, taking a step but quickly being stopped by the force of Alaina's grip on his arm.

"No stay!" Alaina ordered eagerly, like she didn't trust me to be alone with her and I didn't blame her either, I was a mess today.

"It's okay, I'm done!" Harry hoisted his hands up in defense and slapped 100 dollars in her hand. "This is for our services." I sighed before snatching Louis and practically pushing him out of the door so that I could get away.

"Well that's a pretty funny way of showing you that she fancies you." Louis scoffed a few steps ahead of me. I wasn't use to being treated this way, even If I did deserve this. I was always getting attention constantly, which sometimes I loathed and other times I didn't. Sometimes when I don't get attention I'm wondering If I'm bothering people so I change into my whole cool guy facade.

"She doesn't fancy me one bit. I don't even think it's an act she just hates me!"

"Why would she hate you?" Louis tilted his head in abrupt interest, like he had never heard a girl hates me before. In grade school, people wanted me dead. Just for the one moment I screwed up! But I did screw up really bad...

"Many reasons. She claims its because I get too many girls consideration or that I don't have to work to get anything. If I didn't have to, I wouldnt be in that darn school!" I remarked, balling my fists tightly until my knuckles turned peer white.

"You do, Harry. But that's just the way you are, She has to accept the fact that your untameable." Louis said plain-as-day, clicking the part of the mind that I didn't seem to cooperate with. That's it, she doesn't not like me because of my bad boy act, she doesn't like that I'm inchangeable! That had to be it, right?

"Your right, Louis. Your pretty intelletual, I except Liam to be telling me these things yet here you are." I patted his back in a friendly manner, and smirked as a bunch of paparazzi zipped down the street towards us with their automatic picture cameras immediately snapping photos.

"Smile for the Camera, Louis!" I encouraged smirkingly, tilting my head in one angle so that they could snap my good side.

~ Alaina

I peered down the vacant alley expecting something to pop out at me and snatch me up in a garbage bag but all that was visible were the dumpsters on the right and the gravel on the cement. This was sure to grant me a shortcut home. My dad was working late tonight at the Cafe, and he sure didn't want me there once the jail-breakers broke in to have their fun. My dad was so unpredictable, one day he would be all happy-go-lucky and the next, he was breaking windows literally. I once caught him shooting out a neighbor's window that owed him some money and boy It wasn't pretty. I wanted to die from humiliation, but of course It was what I expected every now and then. Gladly, today wasn't one of those days he promised me that he would give me money to the concert I've been desiring to go to. I believe it was Aerosmith? I've always been a fan of their music and finally I convinced my dad to let me go!

Unexpectedly, I felt myself being shoved against a brick wall aggressive, Alvin's black eyes like daggers. "Where is the money, lady?" he growled through gritted teeth.

Alvin was one of my dad's aquaintences. He worked for a major company and earned about 20 dollars an hour, but that wasn't enough. He often sold stuff to people on the streets just so that he could buy name brand watches and tuxes so that he could fit in with the New York socialites, which I thought was a bunch of bull. Life wasn't about how much money you had or the clothes you wore.

My lips began to quiver in fright as his grip grew tighter against my bare skin. "I'll have it tomorrow I promise!" I cried, my sight of vision becoming blurred by a sharp hint of tears. I didn't want to cry, not in front of someone who wanted to take advantage of my fright. I needed to stay strong, like I always had and always will.

"You promised yesterday! This crap is getting old!" Alvin tiffed as he released his grip on me and kicked the brick wall a few times, trying to release the wrath he was feeling in his veins. I shushed my cries, and opened my mouth to speak but no sound came out. It was just silence.

"It's not my dues to pay!" I upholded noisily, I needed to shield myself from any more harm. I was a warrior, I could survive through this. I could protect myself or at least I thought I could.

"Is he paying them? No.  Now, If you don't want your daddy to get hurt, you better pay up!" Alvin took a sharp blade from his pocket, A switchblade to be literal and held it against my throat ready to cut me open If I said any more.

"You may think your tough but your the weakest person I've ever met. I watch after you every day, I have to say I'm impressed with how you cope with that Harry kid." Alvin slid the knife against my throat sharply, a whimper escapng my throat. I wanted to cry, I wanted to curl up in the fetal position and sob myself to sleep. I wanted all of my dads antics to stop! So I could live through life like a normal teenager, I was only 17. I needed to be normal.

"Shut up!" I snatched the knife from his fingers and jabbed him in the stomach biting down on his hands as he attempted choking me. I spun around in a 360 circle and sped down the alley feeling my legs give up on me as I reached the end.

Alvin removed the knife from his stomach, blood seeping through his wife-beater t-shirt. I couldn't believe I stabbed him, but I had to get away. There was no way in escaping If I didn't defend myself. "Your gonna regret this!" He threatened in his naturally raspy monotone, his steps quickening.