Chapter 10

*Felicity's POV*

The weekend had passed by very quickly, leaving me feeling deflated, confused and satisfied all at one time. Mackenzie and I had the most perfect night following my wreck of a date with Adam as well as my mini freak out on the roof. My mind felt like a group of toddlers had taken a set of crayons and scribbled all over it; it was both a literal and metaphorical mess.

There was one thing I knew for sure, I had feelings for Mackenzie Ross. It's always scary to express these feelings out loud, especially when you are portraying your feelings for someone of the same gender. Society has spent centuries oppressing and undermining people for simply loving others and I will never understand how loving someone, in a world full of hate, can be so offensive.

I hadn't seen her yet on this beautiful, sunny November morning. It was early before class had even started, but luckily the school was prepping for the rally tonight so classes were only on for half the day, leaving the rest of the day free. This is also meant that I only had to endure Civics and English, and the latter I didn't mind at all as it meant I got to spend a full hour sat with Kenzie. I mean nothing as great as the other night had been but it still gave me a rush of butterflies just thinking about it.

When she walked into English, I could feel my face flushing from my seat in the back corner. She looked gorgeous.

I nervously bit my lip as I watched her pick up a piece our work for the day from the desk at the front and then continue to the back of the room, where I was. Her blonde hair fell down each side of her face perfectly and her jaw line was beautifully defined.

"Hi." She said, when she was close enough in earrange for me, and I swore I saw a grin as she spoke.

"H-hey." Was all I managed to muster back, still in state of nerves.

She slumped herself down in her chair, pushing it back slightly so she was a few inches behind me but I could just about make her out in my peripheral vision. The two boys who sat near us were talking about the football game tonight, unsurprisingly. It was literally the talk of the town, the first game of the season which included the welcome rally, and an excuse for high school kids to get wasted at the after party. Not for me though, I hated football.

"You'd think people would have better conversations than that dumb game tonight." I said, clearly thinking my thoughts outloud.

"Dumb game?" Mackenzie said in the form of a question. She wasn't maintaining eye contact with me but instead concentrating on the string-like bracelet wrapped around her left hand.

"Don't tell me you like football too?" I said rolling my eyes.

Mackenzie laughed. "Look at me Felicity, of course I like football."

I did as she ordered and looked her up and down, which was a bad move because when I did my heart once again started racing again after I had only just been able to calm it down. "I don't like to judge people based on looks."

This was true. I had never understood stereotypes that much, or categorising people into boxes. From a young age I had assumed anyone was capable of being anything they wanted to be or could enjoy anything they wanted to enjoy whether that was similar or different to others. I had, however, been brought up in a fundamentally right-wing household, the Donald-Trump-Republican-traditional belief-small minded-voting type, unfortunately.