Chapter 1

*Kenzie's POV*

What is better than sleep as a way to forget about everything for a little while? An escapism from the real world, a place where you can be you and nobody is around to judge you for what your unconscious believes or dreams. When I was little I hated to go to bed, scared of monsters in dreams, or the mysterious noises whirling around in the dark night sky. As a tactic, or last resort, my dad told me that my future depended on dreams; I had to go to sleep to find them.

However, it was pretty difficult to find your dreams when you're rudely interrupted from such a magical slumber: "Hey, Mackenzie, wake up! It's already 7.50am, you're going to be late for your first day."

I grumbled, turning over and burying my face into my pillow, hiding under the blue material. I heard Laura, my older sister of 5 years sigh loudly before grabbing the pillow, swiftly, from underneath my head. My head dropped to the less soft material of the cold mattress. "Ow!"

"Oh, I'm glad you're alive!" My sister exclaimed, with a large sense of sarcasm. "Seriously Kenz, wake up."

After having to drag myself out of bed, I walked towards the bathroom as if I had just came off the set of The Walking Dead. I was literally a zombie. I clambered into the shower in attempts to make myself look presentable for another day at another new school. Living in both Florida and Texas, I was used to the heat before I even stepped into California, so it didn't bother me when I looked out the window and could already feel the intensity of the sun glaring onto the window.

"You ready?" Laura questioned as I reached the bottom of the staircase to my new home. She was leant against the doorframe of the kitchen, a white robe wrapped around her body and her light brown hair thrown into a bun on the top of her head. Unlike myself, Laura and my brother Jack had both inherited my mom's brown hair while I gained my father's blonde locks. Luke, Laura's boyfriend, was sat at the breakfast bar shovelling a piece of toast into his mouth. He honestly never stops eating.

"Morning Luke." I greeted him, grabbing an apple as I passed the fruit basket.

"Good morning Kenzie." He replied, his bright blue eyes meeting mine. Luke was a good guy, and very much a morning person unlike my siblings or myself. Yet he always seemed to have the case of bed hair as his dark curly locks stuck out in all directions before he came round to taming them after eating first, of course. "Good luck today!"

"Thanks Dude."

"Mackenzie you completely ignored my question?" Laura half asked, half criticised. "Are you ready for today?"

I took a bite of my apple, which was green because I like the sour taste. "Laura this is my 8th place of education in what? 13 years? I know what to do, I'll be fine."

She gave me a sympathetic look with her greyish blue eyes, which my parents used to say were that colour because her star sign was pieces. I was never into astrology that much. "Just be good, okay?"

"I'll try." I said, knowing full well what my record had been like at previous schools. Laura pulled me into a hug, kissing the top of my head which only just worked for her as she was a few inches taller.

Picking up my skateboard, I headed for the door. The roads of California were long, and busy. I was used to the abandoned, deserted 'roads' of Texas. A different world from the angry drivers beeping at one another on their commute to work, kids screaming as they made their way to school, and having to swerve around the crowds of people walking towards me. It was rather hectic.