18

"What? Why are you smiling?" Gerard asked cautiously.

Mr. Toro laughed. He pulled a badge out of his pocket. Frank and Gerard's eyes widened and their jaws dropped.

"You're a police officer," Frank said. Mr. Toro nodded.

"That's it. We're going to jail. You busted me out and you've committed more crimes than me. We're going back to prison," Gerard said.

"No you aren't," Mr. Toro said.

"We aren't?" Frank asked, still unsure.

Mr. Toro shook his head. "No, you're not. You guys are coming to work for us," He said.

"What do you mean?" Frank asked.

"As detectives. You guys can help solve cases for murders. It will make up for any crime you ever committed," Mr. Toro said.

"But we deserve life sentences in prison," Gerard said blankly. Mr. Toro chuckled.

"I know you do, but I've had people watching you on your way here. Like Gem, the girl you met on the bus. She works with me," Mr. Toro said.

"Who else?" Frank asked.

"Someone eating at that one diner saw that you helped that young girl out. That was very kind of you both," Mr. Toro said.

"Does that mean my car is okay?" Frank asked hopefully.

"Yes, Frank. Your car is back at your place in Jersey," Mr. Toro said.

"But why? This makes no sense. This isn't how the story ends, right? We deserve to be locked up. We were about to go through with murder for you for god's sake!" Gerard said.

"Gerard," Frank muttered, elbowing him.

"But you didn't go through with it. I knew that deep down you both had some good left in you. Now get your things and let's go," Mr. Toro said.

Frank and Gerard exchanged surprised and confused looks. Mr. Toro sighed.

"Do you want to go to jail?" He asked.

"Yes," Gerard answered.

"No! No, we're fine," Frank added quickly. Gerard gave Frank a confused look and Frank shot him a glare.

"Now go grab your things. We need to get to Los Angeles," Mr. Toro urged.

"Let's go," Frank said, pulling Gerard to their room.

Gerard picked up his suitcase and began throwing things inside. So did Frank. "What the hell, Frank? We should be in prison," Gerard said.

Frank shook his head. "No, Gerard. I should be in prison. But, I want to change and you already have. I have a second chance, and many people don't. I'm going to use my second chance wisely."

Gerard didn't respond. He just continued to pack. Frank zipped up his suitcase and walked over to a confused Gerard. Frank gave Gerard a quick peck on the cheek and he saw Gerard blush a little.

"What was that for?" Gerard asked, zipping his suitcase up.

"Because I love you," Frank said.

Gerard stopped. He faced Frank and smiled. "I love you, too."

Frank and Gerard checked the room one last time before walking back into the kitchen, where Mr. Toro was. Mr. Toro was leaning up against the counter, looking at his watch. He glanced up and smiled Frank and Gerard.

"Ready to go, boys?" Mr. Toro asked.

"Ready as we'll ever be," Gerard said.

"Okay. Let's go then," Mr. Toro said as they exited the room.

As the three men got on the elevator, Gerard began to speak. "Mr. Toro, I was wondering if once we get to LA if I can call my brother?"

"Yes, of course. Also, call me Ray. Not Raymond," Mr. Toro said, looking in Frank's direction, "Not Mr. Toro," Ray finished, looking at Gerard.

The elevator dinged and Ray, Gerard, and Frank got off. Frank and Gerard followed Ray to the front desk. Ray checked them out of the hotel. The three of them then walked outside to the limousine that was waiting for them. The three of them got inside.

"If you want," Ray began, "You could invite Mikey to stay with us in Los Angeles," Ray suggested to Gerard.

Gerard's face lit up. He liked the idea of being able to be close to his baby brother. "Okay. I'll ask him once we get there," Gerard said happily.

"It will also be easier to explain this whole story to Mikey in person instead of over the phone," Frank mentioned.

Gerard nodded. "That's true," He said.

The limousine then came to a stop.

"Why are we stopping?" Frank asked.

"We have to pick Gem up. I'll be right back. You two stay here," Ray said as he stepped out of the limousine.

"I can't believe this is actually happening," Frank said after a few minutes of silence.

"What?" Gerard asked.

"We're free. We can start over," Frank said.

Gerard smiled. "I know. I'm excited to see what kind of legal things we'll get into."

Then, the door opened and Gem and Ray stepped in.

"How are you, Gerard?" Gem asked.

"Fine," Gerard smiled. "How about yourself?" Gerard asked.

"I'm good. Also, my name isn't Gem. It's Lindsey. Gem was just a cover up. I also don't have a brother," Lindsey smiled.

Gerard's eyes widened. "Your name is Lindsey? Not Gem?" Gerard asked in surprise.

Lindsey shook her head and smiled.

"Damn. Is anyone else fake? Is your name really Ray?" Gerard asked, making everyone laugh.

"Yes, it's really Ray," Ray said.

"I swear these last several days have made me go crazy," Gerard said, letting himself fall back in his seat. Lindsey giggled.

"I understand," Frank agreed.

"Well, that's all over now. You can forget the past and focus on the now," Ray said. He smiled. Gerard and Frank couldn't help but to smile back. Ray's smiled were always warm and friendly.

"It's kind of exciting to put the past behind us and move on. I feel refreshed and brand new," Frank said.

"Me too," Gerard agreed and they left the city of Las Vegas.