A Witch's Promise - 7

Sian met her Mum and set off on the hunt for wedding dresses. To be honest she wasn't hopeful as there was only one clothes shop and the chances of finding her perfect gown here in Carnock was unlikely. From the outside the shop looked as it had always had, mannequins dressed for golf trips and picnics, not exactly inspiring.

"Oh Mum, why did we even bother coming here?"

"Come on don't be daft, you have to start somewhere." Her mother grabbed her arm and dragged her through the door setting off the little bell.

The window display hadn't done the shop any favours, as once through the door a sea of finery lay in every direction. Ball gowns, cocktail dresses, summer outfits, shoes in every style, every colour and over in the corner the wedding section. Sian turned to her mother, "Wow, I didn't expect this. Did you?"

"No must be under new management or something."

"Good morning ladies and what can I do for you this day?" The voice sounded old and gravelly so when Sian turned to the source she was stunned to find herself face to face with someone her age, a slight woman dressed in a long, form fitting black dress, her face lit up with a smile that didn't quite meet her eyes.

"Morning. We've just come in for a look around, if that's ok." Sian mumbled and guided her mother towards the wedding dresses away from the woman. "Sian, don't be rude." Her mother stopped and turned back to the woman. "My daughter is getting married," She beamed, "I'm buying her dress. We need something special."

"How lovely." The woman moved towards the wedding dresses and started to pull dresses of the rack, "I've just received some new stock I'm sure you'll find something you'll love."

Sian was not quite convinced but allowed her mother and the woman with the dead eyes to choose a few dresses.

"No not that one, I don't want pure white."

"Nope too much lace."

"Come on," Sian sighed, "do you want me to look like a meringue?"

"Sian," her mother hissed, "stop being difficult." She turned to the woman, "I'm sorry, Miss....I don't know why she's being difficult."

The woman smiled and put back the latest dress she had selected, "Please call me Margaret and don't worry, picking the perfect gown is not something one does in haste." She indicated to the small couch, "Why don't you both sit, I'll get some refreshments and you can describe your perfect dress to me Sian." Margaret swept way, her black hair flowing around her shoulders as if she were under water.

"Mother something's not right."

"Don't be silly girl. You've just got wedding nerves."

"No it's not that. Didn't you see her eyes," Sian paused, "her smile doesn't reach her eyes."

*****

Small disclaimer, Carnock is real, it is a lovely village in Fife but apart from the name there is nothing similar between the real Carnock and A Witch's Promise Carnock, I just liked the name.