Boots To Boogie With

Richard drove me out of the country and into town. About half an hour later we were back in the country and I saw a sign that said, "You are now leaving Athabasca."

Great. We were now out of town. In another half hour, we were pulled into a honky tonk. The sun was going down and as we walked inside, I couldn't help but notice how much life the place had.

Richard and I grabbed a spot at the bar and the bartender came over to ask what we wanted to drink.

"Bourbon." Richard answered.

"Whiskey." I replied.

There were tons of men here but none of them looked as amazing as Richard. I Don't Call Him Daddy by Doug Supernaw was playing in the background.

You said, "I don't call him daddy, but he takes care of things.

When you pick me up on Friday, are you gonna bring me anything?

Oh, don't worry Dad, you know, it don't matter what we do;

Cause I don't call him daddy, he can never be like you."

I wanted to ask Richard toask so badly but I decided against it and lit up a ciggarette instead. Everybody had cowboy hats on and I felt a little out of place with my red hair pulled up in a ponytail.

I had just gotten a job last week at the accountant's office as an assistant. I worked hard and I was paid well but when work was done, I didn't hesitate to run out the front door of the building. It was times like this that I was running for. I loved riding in Richard's worn-out truck and I loved it when he came over and we rode horses around the trail behind my house. I loved driving over the speed limit on a highway and I loved the times when we were alone.

I looked out of the window and noticed that the building was completely surrounded by trees.

A line dance was starting up and Richard and I decided to join in. I tapped me heels on the ground in front of me and tapped my toes then I turned to Richard so we could dosey doe.

I noticed a catalac pull into the parking lot and a bunch of teenagers got out. After looking at them once, I turned away to look back at Richard. He was getting tired so we sat at a table by a window.

I pulled a deck of cards out of my coat pocket.

"Blackjack?" I asked.

"Do I ever turn down Blackjack?"

It was true that he never had. Blackjack was one of the many things that we had in common.

We played eight rounds. We each won four.

I had just put the cards back in my pocket when Richard grabbed my hand and led me out to the back of the honky tonk. We could faintly hear the music from inside. It was I Let Her Lie by Daryle Singletary.

'Cause the truth was too hard to handle

And I couldn't bare to lose that girl

We were that small town scandal but

She was my only world

Richard and I began to dance.

When the song was over, we went back inside. I drained my cup of whiskey just as Richard finished his cup of bourbon. The bartender asked us if we wanted anything else.

"I have everything I need." Richard answered, looking at me.

I stared back at him. I didn't know what else to do.

"The dance floor's pumped." Richard commented.

"We've already had our dance though." I smiled.

I couldn't imagine a better way to spend an evening.

Richard and I were two of the few people sitting out of the dancing but I didn't care. I had just had the best dance of my life.