Chapter 2: Family Ties

Well...

I apologise for the lack of updates - I can only write like a sentence at a time - I have literally no motivation nor the attention span to create. It is for this reason that this is short and I'm not particularly happy with it. Sorry.

Oh and sorry that the chapter title shares it with a chapter from Wolf-Girl, I'm that original that I copied myself c:.

And if you'd like to, please vote, comment and fan me because it'll make me happy, and when I'm happy, the likelihood of depressing chapters decreases :D

Also, alongside the entire book being possibly triggering, this chapter may be particularly triggering to some, just a warning.

***************************************************************************************************************

Today was interesting for several reasons:

1. the new girl - Snow

2. the look on Mrs Maud's face at her uniform

and

3. Asher's new target.

He texted me a picture of him, and I nearly dropped my phone.

Asher started telling me about how he - Asher said his name was Rain - had just started working at Waterstone's with him after his sister moved schools.

He was attractive, I'd give Asher that, but I was more interested in his female sibling.

Yes, you've guessed it - Rain was Snow's brother; I guess their parents liked weathers or something.

The resemblance was striking, they were both tall, with extremely pale skin. Both were on the skinnier side, though Snow was definitely more so, both had those enormous grey eyes that seemed to engulf your soul. And both seemed to prefer black to any other colour. The only real difference was their hair, but that would've been due to their choices, not genetics. Whereas Snow's hair was black and silver, Rain's was a pale lilac-y blue.

*Sigh* at attractive people...

Anyways, after my first decent day at school in ages, I did as my best friend had instructed and went to visit Cian. I would've done anyway, I always do, but for the first time since his admission, I had some actually positive conversation topics - the main one: Snow.

Cian had attempted suicide three times according to official records, but the count was higher than that.

I entered his room to find it empty, but I could hear the sound of a shower coming from down the hall and went to investigate.

"Cian, you in there?" I called, knocking on the only engaged shower cubicle.

"Yeah, I'll be out in a sec," was his response. I waited, listening to the drum of the water on the tiles, writing shitty water/rain/snow related poetry on my phone.

The water rushes through the river

as Cupid fires Love, at me, from his quiver.

The rain dances on the river's surface

as droplets spiral into one another.

The temperature drops,

the rain transforms

the clear blue liquid turning into the white winter norm -

And it was then I noticed that I couldn't see the clear fluid from a shower through the gap under his door. What I could see was thick and red.

I could see blood.

Cian's blood.

"Cian, open up. Please." No response. "Cian Marc Lukas. I know what you're doing in there. Please stop. Just come out. Please."

"Go away, Nova, you don't need to see this. I don't want you to see this," he said quietly but turned off the shower.

"I've seen worse, I just want to help you," I was trying to keep my voice from cracking and didn't exactly succeed.

"Don't say that, I know you've seen worse, but you don't care - no one cares."

"I care. I care, Cian, as your sister and as your friend, I love you."

"I love you too, No... Just give me minute to dry and get dressed," he spoke hesitantly, as if not trusting himself to go through with his words.

"How do I know you won't just carry on?" I asked knowing it was a possibility.

"I..." he trailed off, trying to find a good enough reason.

Less than a minute later he threw his sharpener blade under the door.

I picked it up and pocketed it.

Three minutes later, he stepped out of the cubicle clad in dark grey skinnies and a black hoodie, his naturally curly hair clinging to the water droplets.

"Hey, sis," so we were pretending this never happened.

"Hey," I said as he stepped forward and hugged me tightly.

"Did anything happen today?" he asked.

"There's a new girl at school and she's fab, what about you?"

"Not much. They made me eat pizza." Oh. That explains a lot. Pizza is a trigger food, a result of primary school bullying in which he was videoed by multiple people throwing up his lunch. It's more complicated than that but he still hasn't been able to talk about the details of that day. "They say they want to help but it just makes it worse."

"Hey, you are getting better, I see it every time I visit. There's hope in your eyes that wasn't there before, there's positivity." I didn't believe a word, in fact he was, as he said, getting worse, but what else do you say when your twin brother attempts suicide more than three times and still gets worse? "Do you want to go back to my room?" I knew what he was referring to - people might start suspecting stuff if he didn't return soon.

"Okay."