Chapter 4: Awkward

Omg I'm so sorry I haven't updated in forever but I've been busy and writers' block and just life so sorry.

************************************************************************

We all filed into Asher's car, Rain and Snow having been using buses to get around. I sat in my usual seat in the front next to Asher and the siblings sat in the back.

None of us spoke.

When we got to Asher's, he put two frozen pizzas in the oven and pulled out two cans of Strongbow from the fridge.

I downed mine in about ten minutes.

I still didn't know what to say, my mind was still whirring with the events at the hospital.

I put my hand into my pocket and felt the cool metal blade that I had there, and I felt so shit.

I felt shit because I had to be the strong sibling, because I couldn't turn to self harm or suicide like he did, because the only reason I could eat pizza was that he was in hospital, because my life was falling apart and I didn't know how to stop it.

"Nova?" Asher asked, snapping me out of my daze and I realised he'd asked me something. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied and I knew that no one in the room believed my words.

"I was asking if you wanted me to get out the vodka," he continued, looking at me with concern.

"Oh," I perked up, that'd help me forget. "Yeah, why not?"

Asher then disappeared and I turned to Rain and Snow.

"He likes you," I blurted out.

"See! I told you!" Snow laughed.

"What are you on about?" the poor boy questioned.

"Asher. He likes you," I said slowly.

"No he doesn't," Rain shook his head fervently.

"Uh, yeah he does," I did my best sassy voice. "I've known him since I was like three, I think I know when he likes someone."

Asher reappeared at that moment, brandishing a bottle of Absolut vodka.

This could be fun.

"Before I let you start drinking," he began, "are you going home tonight?"

"Home." The word pissed me off. "Home" was a building with my parents who hated each other's guts, and a shit ton of shitty memories about Cian.

"Probably not," I replied and the siblings looked at me weirdly.

Thankfully, the oven beeped before either of them could ask.

PIZZA!

We sat around Asher's table and the weather people looked at it with something close to awe.

"This... this is beautiful," Snow spoke after a moment.

His table had a collage of memories sandwiched under a pane of glass - it had taken nearly an entire half term to do but it was definitely worth it.

There were pictures of Asher and his family on holidays next to pictures of me and Asher pretending to make out. Cian was in some, smiling, carefree, happy but most of them were from when we were little and had a really crappy camera so you couldn't really tell who it was.

"Well yes we make a great team," he said as he brought out the pizza. "I bring the DIY shit, they bring the artistic shit," he froze. He knew he'd said "they" and not "she".