Chapter 1: New Girl

It's short, and it's really late, but I uploaded. I think it's shit. And I know I need to update my other books but @Lickle_Penguin is forcing me into a joint book with her.

************************************************************************************************************

"Nova get your lazy arse to school right now!" Mum shrieked through my door for the fifth time that morning.

"I'm going!" I yelled back as I threw on my bright purple bag that was covered with badges over my boring black school uniform. I mean, you gotta have some colour from somewhere, right?

I wasn't wearing any make-up, I never did, I just didn't see the point in waking up massively early just to put chemicals on my face. I'd much rather get more sleep.

I ran down the stairs to the kitchen where I grabbed the flask of coffee that I'd made when I woke up and went into the living room to find my dad passed out on the sofa. On his cheek was a kiss in a shade of lipstick that Mum would never wear.

And that's when I knew he was cheating on her.

I laced up my boots with their rainbow laces and left, still gagging at thought of him with another woman.

Walking down the busy main road, slowly sipping my warm caffeinated liquid, I felt my phone vibrate with a text.

It was from Asher, I didn't even have to look to know it was him. It's not like I had any other friends... Too bad he was twenty meaning he'd finished high school.

Good morning (: xx

I smiled at my phone, like every morning. We always texted each other "x"s, as friends though - we were both gay after all.

Heyy c: xx

Asher knew everything about me, my sexuality, the alcohol, Cian - everything.

How're you?? Xx

Not brilliant, what about you? Xx

Wishing I was still in bed ._. Aw what's wrong? Xx

Dad's cheating on mum and I don't think I could survive another family breakdown xx

Aw, wish I was there to hug you right now :3 xx

I do too xx

Are you going to visit Cian after school? Maybe talking to him will help? Xx

Yeah but I don't think telling him how fucked life is outside the hospital is going to help him want to live xx

/: that's not what I meant. I meant just talking to him will make you feel better, it doesn't matter what you talk about, you need your brother xx

Oh. Sorry. I will (: xx

It's okay c: xx

"Incorrect uniform again, Lukas," looked up to meet the harsh eyes of my head of year., Mrs Maud. "Badges and rainbow laces are not part of our uniform policy." I opened my mouth to retort about individualism, but she cut me off. "That being said, I require someone of your..." She trailed off, trying to find the right word, "welcoming nature to show the new girl around." That caught my attention, I hadn't known anything about a new girl. "Her name is Snow and she's waiting in reception. You will both be excused from your first lesson," with that, she turned on her heels and stormed towards a group of year seven boys who were messing around.

Heading towards the office, thoughts if this new girl's personality crossed my mind - I was used to bitchy tarts and chavs, but the way Mrs Maud said "welcoming" made me wonder if she was different.

"Hey," I started as I reached her, her back towards me. When she turned, I almost gasped at how beautiful she was. She was as white as a sheet with tousled black hair with silvery tips to her fringe. She wore her uniform with a pair of Dr. Martens and a black waist coat under her blazer. "I'm Nova."

She looked up through her black eyeliner and thick fringe until her grey eyes met mine. I felt lost staring into the orbs, they were so unique, so perfect. "Um, hi, I'm Snow," she said anxiously.

"I hate to break it to you but Mrs Maud is likely to not be happy with your uniform," I said with a smile to try to break the ice. Heheh, "ice", "Snow", get it?

She looked initially startled before responding - "I guess she's not too pleased with yours either then?" Yeah, she was definitely different.

I shook my head and laughed, "that woman has thrown a fit at my uniform every day for the past three years."

We stood like that, laughing at the little things for a while before I remembered the task I'd been given.

"I'm supposed to give you a tour of the school, we're missing first period," I told the girl.

"Okay, lead on," she gestured down the corridor.

"This corridor is pointless quotes of the twentieth century," I joked as we passed the framed sayings that supposedly held "meaning", but really didn't. We turned and reached the sports hall. "And this is usually where we'll spend many an hour completing pointless 'activities' and sweating like a mother fucker."

She laughed at that, "I take it that means you don't like PE?"

Shaking my head I asked "and you do?"

"I'm not the biggest fan of PE itself, but I like exercise so..." She trailed off. Something felt wrong, but the kind of wrong that unless you know exactly what it is, you do not question or comment, so I left it.

"And here is the theatre." I said turning around. "Assemblies, school shows and sometimes PE happen here." She nodded slightly, earlier's laughter visibly lost. "Upstairs is music, did you take music?" I asked.

"No, art." She said, almost briskly, something really wasn't right - I knew the signs.

"Oh me too," I said, leading her outside to the forum. "Art's the best."

"Yes, yes it is."

"Now, because 1. I can't be arsed and 2. we're running out of time I'm just going to tell you what's where," she nodded and I began. "That's A Block, Technology on the bottom floor, Science on the first and French, Art and ICT on the second. Inclusion is also up there, but unless you get sent there, you don't need to worry. And that's B Block with Humanities on the ground floor, English on first and Maths on second. C Block was where Music, the library, or the 'hub', sports hall and theatre is. The blocks are connected by a corridor and have flights of stairs at each end. Each room has a letter and a number, 'G' 'F' or 'S' signify the floor so that 'F' is the first floor, 'G' is the ground and so on," I explained.

"What's that?" she asked, pointing.

"That's the Refectory, the food's shit and over-priced and the queues are mental so I'd recommend you bring your own."

"I'll remember that for tomorrow," she said smiling.

"First period ends in ten minutes," I said, looking at my rainbow watch. "What have you got next?"

Pulling out her timetable, she replied, "Science with Miss Grey... in F9?"

"Come on then."