I had no doubt I would sink into nothingness from the grief of losing not one family, but two.

"Britta, Ingrid, we leave," Aderick's voice pulled me away from my tormenting thoughts.

"No," I whispered. I blinked the tears away, gaining strength from the deep breath I drew into my deprived lungs.

I needed to know more. When the battle was to occur, who was behind this all, although I had suspicions I would not voice them until I was absolutely sure. I also wanted to ask Eir about Aderick and I and our future. But I desired to be alone.

"Britta..." He warned, his tone exasperated. I did not need to look at him to know that he was angered by my reluctance to leave the hut that was now layered in an ominous aura.

"I shall remain here, actually. I shall be fine...you do not have to stay unless you wish to," I said, finally peering up at him before glancing at Eir.

He sent me a harsh glare before rolling his eyes towards the roof, muttering under his breath. He let out a sigh before looking down at me where I remained seated.

"Fine. Stay. But do not take to heart what she says to you, 'tis only to make you believe in false tales from the gods."

And with that, he stormed out of the hut without another glance my way. My brows rose at the blatant display of disrespect towards Eir, who was the human voice from the gods, and myself, though I did provoke it. I shook my head at him, not terribly bothered by his tantrum. Ingrid worriedly glanced between the two of us, torn between staying and leaving. I smiled at her softly and nodded my head towards the door, silently telling her it was okay to leave.

She gave me a tight-lipped smile before quietly leaving the home, darting to catch up with her brother.

I turned my attention back towards Eir, who was patiently waiting, her smoky gray eyes assessing me. A small smile crept onto her weathered face before she spoke once more.

"You are good for him, Britta. You stand up for what you believe in and are not afraid to meet him head on. I like that...and the gods are pleased."

"Uh...takk skal du ha?" I said with a puzzled frown. I was not sure if that was a compliment or something else. I believed that this woman did this to many people.

"He will need you by his side once the war begins against the Dahlsten people. Behind a strong Viking leader and warrior is an even stronger wife, Britta Haraldsson, and you my dear, are just the person for Jarl Aderick."

I paused, letting out a breath, "A-Are you saying that we are meant to be together? That we are to be wedded as man and wife?"

"Ja. You both have been fated together since before you were born. Two individuals from rival clans to unite together to make a strong front against all other forces that come your way, birthing strong sons that shall do great things for our land. But, as I told Aderick, fate can change at any time - due to emotions, decisions, and natural courses that come into an individual's life. The attack against your home was not initially planned by the gods, it simply happened. From that point, your fate continued to change. The forthcoming battle was inevitable for Aderick, but the stakes tripled once you became intertwined with Aderick's life, becoming the goal of it all."

I closed my eyes as I processed her words. I focused keeping my breathing even, from letting my emotions rage out at the unfairness of all of this. I cracked my eyes open and rubbed my palms against my upper arms, willing myself to do something with my hands, or else they would start shaking.

I had the urge to stomp my foot like a child, but since I remained sitting with my legs crossed, that option was out. Instead, I blew out a harsh breath, the stray curls that dangled in my face flying upwards.