"We had to come back and grab a few things. Figured I'd stop by."

Which meant he'd have to leave again soon. She refused to let that sadness touch her close and instead focused on the fact that he was here.

She played with a lock of his wet hair. He smelled nice. Like soap and rain--a scent that spiked her awareness."You showered."

"I did."

"How long are you staying?"

His smile turned sad. "Not long. We're picking up and going out as soon as possible."

"Oh." Her heart dropped.

He cupped her cheeks, "are you okay? How is everything here?"

"Good." She assured him. If he was only going to be in town for a little bit, she didn't want to ruin that by telling him about the incident with Jamie. "Cam's doing okay."

"I saw him." He placed a kiss on her forehead, "He told me you two are keeping each other together."

She nodded. "Cam is worried. We all are."

"Hopefully he won't worry too much longer."

"You have a lead?"

"We do," Will said. "And it's a damn good one. That's why we have to go right away. Can't let the trail go cold."

Warren peeked his head around the doorframe. "Will? The party's leaving."

"Tell them I'll be there in a minute."

Warren smiled gently at her. Then disappeared.

Harley smoothed out the navy shirt he wore. After his shower, he'd changed into a navy t-shirt, durable pants, and worker's boots--fighting gear. "So you're off again already."

He tucked some of her brown hair behind her ear. "I guess so. But this time, I have a really good feeling about things."

They were quiet. Simply taking in the presence of the other. Harley tried to memorize his features, afraid that for some reason she might forget them. But she would never forget his dark hair and the way his eyes crinkled at the corners when he laughed, or the quiet intensity with which he moved.

"Please be careful," she said softly.

"Always."

He took a step back, looking like he wanted to say more. Do more.

Harley wanted so much. She wanted to drop down and beg him not to leave her in this house that was still somehow not a home. She wanted to ask him to go with her and her brother somewhere--anywhere else.

She couldn't do any of that.

Her heart ached and already she felt his absence, though he hadn't left. So instead she reached her arms around his neck and pulled his lips to hers.

He kissed her back softly, desperately, leaning forward and pulling her tight until her body pressed flush against his. He was hard muscle where she was soft skin. Strength to her quiet tenacity.

Reluctantly, he ended the kiss and rested his forehead against hers. "I have to go."

She closed her eyes, absorbing this moment. "I know. Go. I'll be here when you get back."

He gave her one more quick kiss. And left.

~

Bailey hesitated, then knocked on the solid dark wood of her father's door.