The Beginning of the End

Start from the beginning

                Alia's jaw dropped as she stared at me with pity. That was the last thing I needed right now. I turned away from here, knowing if I stared at her any longer that I would start crying. Never did I think my life would end up this way. I had imagined that I would have been Queen of Cadellan, living a perfectly normal life where vampires and werewolves didn't exist. I would have married a nice man and had normal children who wouldn't grow up with such pain and abuse.

             "Isabella, I'm so sorry. I didn't know it was that bad. I figured he'd hurt you but not in the ways you've said." She apologized but it wasn't her fault.

             Before either of us could say a word, the basement door slammed opened, waking up the twins in the process. Protectively, I stood in front of them, not letting anyone hurt my babies. Alia grabbed me by the arm, clenching onto it in fear. Normally, we wouldn't be scared but since our wolves were suppressed, it was harder to protect ourselves.

            "Gavin!" Alia squealed when he made an appearance down the stairs.

               She ran over to him, wrapping her arms tightly around him. I knew what it was like to be separated from your mate, it's the most painful thing to experience. Tear involuntarily ran down my cheeks when I saw how happy they were and how I hadn't experienced that in what felt like forever.

               "Izzy!" Gavin exclaimed once he noticed me standing off to the side crying.

                 He rushed over and wrapped his arms around me, causing more tears to pour from my eyes. I forgot what it was like to hug someone I cared about. I missed Gavin so much, forgetting how great of a friend he was to me. It had been years since he saw me. His eyes traveled down to the twins and his eyes widened.

              "Oh my God, look how big they are." He gasped.

               "They won't remember you." I whispered.

                 "Are you okay?" He asked me.

               "Not really." I cried.

                  Despite the broke arm, physically I was fine, but emotionally I was broken into a million pieces. Alia told Gavin what happened with her as well as me. That we were also unable to shift due to wolfsbane. I picked Zack up to carry him and Alia picked up Rayna, surprisingly Rayna allowed it. Gavin led the way up the stairs before someone would find us missing. The dead guard laid on the floor and I tried to shield Zack from seeing the dead body, but I'm pretty sure he already saw it.

               We walked out into the dead of the night, a cool air blowing my hair. I wasn't sure where we were at, but if we got far from this place it was fine by me. In the distance I could hear the sounds of growls and the fighting of war. I prayed that Jace was safe in all of this, or everything would be for nothing. If he died, all my fighting and surviving over the years would have been useless. We started to walk away from the house, Gavin on high alert, ready to shift at any moment. I knew he was third in comment and was an amazing fighter but I wished he would have brought backup. How was he supposed to protect all four of us by himself?

                Before I knew what was happening, a gun was pressed to my head. I turned to see Dillon holding me tightly around the waist, daring Gavin to try something. I set Zack to the ground and he ran over to Alia. My heart started to race, thinking that this would be the time where Dillon really killed me. Gavin growled at Dillon, threatening to shift and demanding for him to let me go.

               "Gavin, take the twins and go. Protect them, Jace would want it." I demanded, knowing Dillon would attack at any moment.

               "I'm not leaving you with this prick. Let her go." Gavin growled.