2: Making Friends

Chapter 2

Each day was divided up into four classes, two before lunch, two after. The subjects were strewn randomly, both magical and non-magical. Saturday was special, it was only a half day, but the two classes that each student had were always to do with magic. Cody supposed that the first class he had gone to was a special case, a return from break general refresher.

In his three classes of the day, he had tried to pay attention to his fellow students, trying to work out the people he was in multiple classes with. There were a few people in two of the three, but the only person in all of them was Riseumi.

After class, he got a message from Zeke, asking to meet up at the entrance hall. After his mix up at lunch, Cody had paid far more attention to his route, though he only really knew how to get back to the entrance. Zeke took him over to the dorm building to give him a practical example of how they worked. It was a two-story building, and all the windows were blocked out by curtains on the inside.

"So if you open the door now..." He indicated, and Cody opened the door. "We are in Glades. See? Light blue walls." They both went back outside. "Now if I open it... see? Green walls. We're in the Arc."

"What about from the outside? I can see windows, and when I was in my room, I could see out." Cody said, walking back outside and looking up.

"The outside will always be Glades for you, and always the Arc for me. Where's your room?"

"Second floor, just there." He pointed up and to the left of the building.

"Mind if we check it out? I've never been to a Glades room before, and it's our last year so..." Zeke asked. Cody shrugged, he didn't mind. They made their way inside. The staircase was in the middle of the hallway, with a common area just across from it.

"Ortega." Had just started climbing the stairs when he heard his name called from behind. It was Riseumi. She left the small group of girls she had been talking to and made her way over to him. Beside him, Zeke was almost glaring at her.

"What do you need?" He didn't quite sneer, but there was a sense of resentment in his voice.

"My business is with Ortega." She replied.

"Cody." Cody cut in to correct her.

"Cody then. I have heard you were in a fight today?" She was contemplative rather than condemning.

"I didn't think you'd listen to shitty rumours." Zeke said.

"Is that to say it didn't happen?" She asked.

"It's not cool to come around accusing someone just because of some shit someone else said." Zeke changed his approach.

"Accusing? My apologies, that was not the manner in which I had meant my statement." Riseumi nodded her head with her eyes closed slightly in apology to Cody. "That said you have still not answered my query. Did you, or did you not engage in a fight at lunch today?"

Zeke scoffed. Cody shrugged. "I wouldn't particularly have called it a fight."

"Fighting is against the school rules." She replied immediately.

"I'm sure he has gathered that much." Zeke spat sarcastically. Cody didn't understand why Zeke seemed to have such resentment for the girl, but then again, they had known each other far longer than he had.

"I only warn him because-"

"Because you are a too-goody-two-shoes." Zeke interrupted. There were a few moments of silence.