Chapter 9 - Farewells

‘Princess Medhavini, I thank you humbly for saving my life!’ Rahul bowed his head, joining Medhi. She was sitting at a rock on the mountain top, looking at the sight stretching before her, but thinking of something completely different.

‘Oh, that’s no problem!’ Medhi blushed. ‘And please just call me Medhi.’

Rahul smiled friendlily. But he seemed to find her request hard to honor. ‘I owe you my life, princess.’

‘You owe me nothing, future tribe chief,’ Medhi shot back. ‘But I think I earned a friend…’

‘Sure, you did… or a servant more like,’ grinned Rahul.

‘No, a friend… the first friend I am making after I stepped on Dhamchacra planet!’

‘Oh… where were you before?’ Rahul asked.

Feeling that she could trust him, Medhi confided the truth. ‘On Earth.’

‘Wow!’

‘Keep it a secret, okay?’

‘Sure, princess.’

‘Come on, my name is Medhi,’ protested the girl.

‘Yes, your highness,’ Rahul stated gravely, then laughed in amusement.

‘It’s too bad your people are against us,’ Medhi sighed, glancing far away pensively.

Rahul’s expression became serious. ‘But times are changing… Our highest respect is for you. Our tribe will never mess with Advishishta Warriors again, we have learnt our lesson! And you saved my life, Princess Medhi! I would never be against you and neither will my people. My father is so mad at Patavindar for his dirty trick that he feels like tearing him to pieces!’

‘But Patavindar is your friend, isn’t he?’

Rahul eyed the rock beneath his feet. ‘He used to be, princess, but that friendship is over now. I didn’t trust him in the beginning either. But he realized it and became extremely amiable towards me to gain my confidence. He must’ve thought it best to have all our tribe in good terms with him, quite unsuspicious of his ulterior motives. In the end he fooled me too…’

‘Don’t be upset of that now,’ Medhi shrugged. Then she riveted back to the main topic. ‘At least it will make your people reconcile with us… I won’t ask you to fight for us. I just hope that our nations were friends!'

‘Your wish is our command, your highness,’ Rahul grinned mischievously and earned a fiery eye from Medhi. ‘How many days will you spend at our hospitality, princess?’

‘Is it so hard to just call me Medhi?’

‘No, princess,’ a crooked grin.

‘Oh, forget it. You’re impossible!’ Medhi groaned. ‘And I’m afraid I won’t be spending much time with your tribe… we have to leave as soon as possible.’

‘Why?’ Rahul sounded disappointed.

‘My eldest brother is dying from the same poison that you drank, Rahul. He might even be dead… he was hit by the poisoned arrow weeks ago! So I have to be quick and save him… I must at least try! Then my youngest brother, another lion brother of mine and two of my friends were captured by the prince of Sambavana Nation, I have to save them too!’ Medhi waved her hands in pain and frustration.

‘Oh… well, I think you can save all of them, just like you saved me!’ Rahul declared in cheerful confidence. ‘Your healing powers are beyond belief and imagination, princess. All the youngsters of my tribe learn the healing abilities of Advishishta Warriors… and I’ve been fascinated by them. I never thought I’ll get to meet such a powerful person in my life!’