Chapter 7 - Captured

Medhi engaged her full attention upon the inhalation and exhalation of her breath. Radeesh had told her that meditation was the way to master her powers and explore her full potential. It was not yet dawn and all the others were sleeping heavily. Medhi distinguished the breath of each and also heard the flow of water of the river around them.

She, who was cuddled to Veer’s soft mane, was not sleepy at all. Her time in her home planet had awakened her true senses and abilities and their narrow escape yesterday night had sharpened them exceedingly.

‘The more I dig in and use my powers, the more it bursts out! I don’t see any limits… the more I probe, the more I find!’

She still had a hard time grasping the fact that she was one of the most powerful… or maybe the most powerful being breathing at the universe at this moment. Powers over heat, cold, supreme healing powers, enhanced eyesight, enhanced hearing, dissolving ability, aptitude to turn into a lioness…Medhi did not even know what some of the powers in this long list meant. And one thing was obvious; she had a hectic lot to learn.

Medhi knew that yesterday’s close call would not be the last in their voyage; in fact that it was just the beginning. If she wanted to see this expedition through, she will have to brush up few of her skills at least.

Words of her youngest brother echoed in her mind of how much their eldest brother loved her and Medhi felt she had to save him. She was impatient to meet him in person.

He was the best, according to Radeesh. The family needed him, his kingdom needed him… and Medhi could not bear to see the golden sun next to their father losing its light. She must save him.

Hence she sacrificed her sleep and meditated throughout the night attempting to understand herself and her capabilities. She wondered what credentials she should acquire essentially.

‘First I’ll have to keep myself and the others alive… I should find a way to defend myself and all my kith and kin at once,’ she decided and focused her powers to weave a shield. She concentrated on the sophisticated blend of heat and cold in each of her cell and vein and weaved a similar shield of fire and ice outside her. The more she concentrated the more it strengthened and expanded.

‘Oh dear! What the hell is this?’ Medhi nearly jumped off her skin when Radeesh cried in shock. Her eyes opened to see that a beautiful cover of gold and silver was covering the entire boat like a canopy. It looked vibrant and powerful, radiating warmth and coldness at the same time. But just as Medhi opened her eyes, breaking the train of thought, the gold and silver codes immediately vanished into her.

You did it?’ Radeesh blinked in surprise and he looked at the normal purple dawn in widen eyes.

‘I-I guess!’ Medhi staggered. ‘I was trying to make a shield, Ayya, sorry!’ she interjected quickly.

‘Woah!’ Radeesh gazed around him as if hoping to see it. ‘Can you do it again, nangi?’

Medhi closed her eyes and concentrated. But her serenity of mind was marred by the sudden interruption and she could not conjure the shield a second time.

‘I can’t,’ Medhi shook her head.

‘That’s too bad!’ Radeesh sighed. ‘You said you were trying to make a shield, right?’

Medhi confirmed it with a nod.

‘Then that was the most powerful shield I’ve ever witnessed! Our fire wall doesn’t feel half as strong when we conjure it,’ Radeesh was still mesmerized. Medhi eyed him silently. He blinked and snapped out of his trance.