10

I slammed the front door shut and ran straight up the stairs and into my room, slamming that too and throwing my bag on my bed. I grabbed a pillow and smudged my face in it, screaming everything I had in me. When my voice started giving out and cracked I threw it back on the bed and sat down, staring blankly at the wall.

Why was everyone always targeting me? The Alpha's little sister that hasn't even found her mate and made herself useful to make an ally with another pack. The disappointment daughter that seems to make everyone's lives harder. The Alpha's mate that doesn't deserve the Luna position for such a powerful pack. The future Luna that isn't enough or right for the Alpha, bond envied by every girl and eyed like food bye unmated males. When did I ever do anything to deserve so much blame?

The door opened and I quickly turned my head away to face my bed frame. I didn't feel like trying to put on a mask right now.

"Are you okay?" The bed sunk and I looked down at my hands in my lap.

"I'm fine. Go back to your important work."

"Striker's taking it over so I can check on you."

"He's here? Sorry for making such a ruckus, I didn't know you were doing important work with him."

"Naomi, stop," His hand was suddenly grabbing one of mine and I tensed. "look at me." I slowly lifted my head and I looked over at him, my resting frown not moving to fake a smile. "Why are there scratches on your neck?"

"I was clawing at my throat." My voice was quiet and low.

"Why?"

"I couldn't breathe."

"Was it my Delta or-"

"Her twin."

"I'll send her her repercussions then."

"No, please I don't want to be known as a tattle-tale. It'll just make things worse."

"They can't think that they're allowed to hurt a pack member, their Luna at most." I didn't respond and looked back down at my lap, one hand gone and in Fox's hold.

"Why do they all hate me so much?" My voice was barely a whisper, hardly hearable.

"They don't-"

"But they do." I looked him in the eyes and he didn't interrupt. "They have ever since Nicholai and I were old enough to understand our emotions." I slipped my hand out of his and pulled it away when he reached for it again. "Can I just be alone right now?" I could sense the hesitation in his movements.

"I can feel that you're upset. You shouldn't be alone-"

"And be cured of my emotions by a mate bond that means nothing other than reproducing our kind?"

"Doesn't have to be nothing." I stayed silent and avoided his stare, watching from the corner of my eye when he got up and left the room, closing the door behind him. I fell back on the mattress and stared up at the blank ceiling. I didn't expect him to understand it. He's always been the one in the spotlight. Alphas aren't hated, Lunas are.

The doorbell rang throughout the vast silent mansion and I perked, darting straight to the door and opening it with a smile.

"Ronan, so nice of you to finally arrive." I remarked sarcastically and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"Ha ha, believe it or not I got lost." I moved so he could walk in and closed the door behind him.

"How did you get lost? The place is isolated on a hill above the towns."

"Yeah, I know. I've just never taken roads up here, it's pretty much forbidden territory to step on. The only people that set foot or paw on the ground on this hill are titled or related to a title. They also don't share details about it so this is not what expected it to look like inside."