Chapter 46. Misleading.

Chapter 46

Mia's POV

Sleepless nights once again. Falling asleep was a constant problem of mine ever since childhood but it stopped temporarily when my life finally stabled during my wedding planning days. I had a good life. I had a loving best friend who knew me in every way. I had a career that consisted with great workers and I never felt burdened or unmotivated to work. I had no complications whatsoever. I lived in an endless routine, my days were predictable and events were anticipated. Until the day Perrie showed up and changed the course of my future forever.

I'd been a wedding planner because I sincerely loved what I did. It will always be one of my greatest passions. There's just something about weddings - the lightness it gives me, the jubilant air - it all appealed to my romantic heart.

I'd been a waitress because, well, I had to. I had no other choice since I was a working college student who lived in a free apartment with the help of Juliana and her soon-to-be husband.

I was even a bodyguard, and to make it sound ten times crazier - I was Zayn Malik's bodyguard. I've had so much instability in my choice of careers that my life spiraled out of control leading to my inconsistent sleep schedule.

And don't even get me started about Zayn.

Zayn Javadd Malik.

He was the most complex, confusing, complicated obstacle placed in my life - probably more difficult than my parentless childhood. He was the most conceited and horrifyingly infuriating human being when we first met. He was the first person who treated me with so much disdain, so much arrogance without even making an effort to get to know me and I was usually a very approachable woman.

Yet in the strangest ways, I found myself falling for him, falling for his irrational thinking, his suave presence, the good heart he bore behind that icy exterior of his. If I hadn't met him, love would still be an unknown issue for me.

How did I learn to confront my own feelings?

How did I allow myself to fall for him?

Actually, how did he end up falling for me?

No matter how dysfunctional our relationship may be, no matter how inappropriate it used to be, my heart was and forever will be inevitably only his. No one else could make me feel the way he does - just one look from those captivating eyes led me into a state of euphoric intoxication that dissipated the force of gravity's pull on me.

Damn that sounded super cheesy.

I only told Zayn that I loved him .. twice. The first time was in London when he left me in heartbreak. I remembered it very clearly.

"I need you to stop. Stop involving yourself with me, Mia. I just came to tell you that - I'm not the one for you. Just leave me alone and don't come back in my life because I do not love you - and I never will."

It was a deadening feeling, rejection was, I never wanted to feel it again. Just thinking back to those cruel words he said to me still sent a minute pain through my system. I know that Zayn regretted his words even though he never verbally admitted it to me - I knew.

The second time was two days ago at the O'Hare airport where we professed our love for each other. It seemed too good to be true. Those things only happened in movies, not real life. I, with Zayn Malik, one of the well-known names on the planet.

It's unbelievable how much time had passed since we first met each other in that month of September. Look where we are now almost three years later. Together in a long-distance relationship. Are we even in a relationship? He never formally asked me to be his girlfriend so was it implied?