Chapter 45. Decision.

Chapter 45

Mia's POV

"Mia!" The lady in a pink robe yelled as the front door of her mansion opened. She quickly strutted through the grand foyer to give me a hug. The butler who opened the door for me took my suitcase and I hoped he was taking it to a safe place. I had really horrible experiences when it came to suitcases.

It had been a long time since Winnie and I last saw each other in person. We kept in touch over text and phone calls but it wasn't the same as seeing her in flesh and bone. Six years ago was the last time we met - at her wedding, and of course she asked me to plan it. My parents didn't even have the time to be there. Which I never minded since they missed out on other milestones in our lives.

"How are you?" I asked out of breath from her tight embrace.

"I've never been happier to see you here. When dad called that you were coming to see me! Do you know how over-emotional I got?! I almost cried!" She cheered as she held me at an arms length. Her eyes roamed behind me, "Where's dad?"

"He's off to Aruba for work." I told her and she was clearly disappointed at my news. I was actually kind of glad to have Dad gone. I was barely breathing in his uncomfortable presence during the plane ride.

We dropped Nana off at her home before coming here. She was way too exhausted and needed a good night's rest. The only reason she came with my father to Chicago was to make sure that I wasn't startled by the sudden abduction which I was thankful for. Without her, I would have probably freaked.

"So soon? Oh well. Come in, come in." She requested, dragging me inside by my elbow.

"I'm sorry for barging in here at such a ridiculous hour." It was a horrible idea to be see my sister at around four in the morning.

"It's alright. You must be exhausted. Let me take you to your room where you can rest and we shall talk tomorrow, okay? There's so much we need to discuss." She suggested and I nodded as she opened her mouth letting out an unattractive yawn.

It'd be nice I guess - sleeping in an enormous bed with a warm duvet. I'm sure there had to be at least a hundred guest rooms in Winnie's home that I could sleep in. And I'm lucky I still had my luggage with me so that I could change into my sleeping clothes. Since my own father planned my abduction, he had someone take them from the check-in. Sometimes a part me questioned whether he still had a sliver of sanity in him.

Walking up the long staircase of about fifty steps, Winnie took a right and ten doors later, we finally stopped at one. She pulled me in for a hug and told me good night before leaving me to stand alone in the spacious hallway.

I slowly turned the golden colored doorknob, and switched on the light, illuminating the massive room. This was the guest room? It could easily have been the master bedroom. There was a king sized bed on my left with a dark purple duvet, two beautiful dark brown nightstands placed on each side of it with lamps on top. A large brown carpet hugged the wooden floor in front of the fireplace where a love seat was placed. I walked in, completely awed at the beautifully decorated room. This was probably bigger than my first apartment.

I couldn't wait to sleep. It's been such an eventful day. I didn't even bother with showering. I think I owe it to myself to jump on the bed and let the sheets work its magic. Soon enough I was already fast asleep.

***

I woke up, the sun shone through the curtains and I tried to hide myself underneath the covers. When I peeked at the clock that hung above the fireplace, I saw that it was ... 4:00 and with sunlight out could only mean one thing. It was already afternoon.