2: Journeys

"Hey! Addy, wait up!"

Jaconda jogged up to Adelanja after the soccer practice. Addy gave her a genuine smile, trying to hide the pain in her knees. She really liked Jac; she wasn't at all like the snobby, self-obsessed teens at her private school – although there were a few nice ones. Like her group of friends that sat with her at lunch. But getting back to Jaconda, she was real. Whether it was because she grew up having to take care of her five other siblings and grandparents when the work was too much for her mother, Addy wasn't sure.

They chatted for a while about the upcoming Germany trip while they walked home. They always split up at the corner where their streets met, Jac going down a cheery, tree-lined road with cozy cottage-like houses and Addy going down a perfectly prim, spotless street with towering houses on either side with giant trees and fancy cars in the drive.

As soon as she walked through the door, Addy ran up to her room and flung her practice bag on the floor. It was June 20th and they were leaving on June 24th and coming back either August 1st or 30th. There were some social things she needed to take care of before she left, seeing as school was out and had been for 2 days. She emailed all her friends then cleaned up her room. As soon as her mom called to remind her to pack, she got really excited and began making a checklist. For being so spontaneous, she was surprisingly well organized. That explained why she had been on honour roll for four years in a row - it didn't explain why she didn't know what the hell she'd be doing after the summer was over, though.

* * * * *

She had spent her last days in Canada packing and making last-minute social calls to her friends. Now, as she stood at the entrance to her plane terminal with Jaconda, she thought that she would actually miss her parents.

"Mom, I'll miss you. I'll keep in touch. Dad, these books sound awesome. I'll read them, don't worry. I'll miss you, too." Addy tried to hide the pain in her voice as she said this.

Her father, being the ever-concerned genius dad, handed her six books to help pass the time on her plane ride, to and fro. All of them were high reading levels with more than 500 pages. One was in French, three were in German, one was in Spanish and one was in English. Addy sighed. These would definitely take some time.

* * * * *

"Wake up, sleepy-head!"

When Jac's yell had reached Addy, she was just getting to the good part in her book – the very end of one of the German ones.

"I'm not sleeping –"

"Well, you could've fooled me. I'd be sleeping if I read that… We're landing now. Get yourself together. What if we see those German singing Gods or something?" Jac said the last bit with stars in her eyes.

While Addy was not the type to obsess over bands and the guys in them, Jac would go completely crazy over them. She would know everything about them within a week, and like them for less than four months. Tokio Hotel was harder for her – she couldn't understand anything they said. Maybe that's why she was so mystified.

* * * * *

As Adelanja and Jaconda got off the plane, Addy stopped in the middle of the hallway and stared, dazed, out a window.

"What are you looking at?" Asked Jaconda.

"Germany…"